Where can I go in Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CherryO:
Thanks for everyone's advice.

I've been looking around and what I hear is that Thailand is cheap and not too bad for travellers on their own. Pattaya and Koh Samui came up as possible places.

But Malaysia and Phillipines sound very interesting.

I will keep looking.

C

I would take the Philippines over Pattaya anyday as far as diving goes.
Pattaya is convienient if you happen to be in Bangkok but despite some interesting critters and a couple of decent wrecks, poor visibility will turn a lot of people off if you go there especially for diving. Koh Tao is probably the best as far as Gulf of Thailand is concerned but is not comparable to Puerto Galara and Dumaguette/Apo Island in the Philippines, in my opinion, especially if you like hunting around for macro stuff. Coral reef around Apo Island is also much nicer than what Koh Tao has.
Ambience wise, however Koh Tao is nicer. Dumaguette, namely Atlantis and El Dorado resort are pretty much in the middle of nowhere, the beach is so so and the town which is a car ride away is not all that great. Puerto Galara, especially Sabang Beach is like a bad version of mini Pattaya, La Laguna beach is quieter. For me, I would definitely go to the Philippines if I want a really good dive vacation but would consider Koh Tao if I want some diving as well as a nice relaxing vacation with a little island atmosphere.
Price is very competitive between Koh Tao and the Philippines, both offer some nice accomodations and budget accomodations. I paid about $US600-700 for diving/accomodation for a week in PG and Dumaguette in a dive resort. An equavalent accomodation on Koh Tao would be around $40-$50 a night, plus diving $40-50 for diving (figure 4 dives a day).

If you are backpacking 'round the world, here are some great SE Asian spots for good times underwater and on land. Of course, all this is contingent on season. Hope this helps. Have a great trip!
-Hapadiver

THAILAND
Koh Tao: Cheapest in Thailand. Party island. Much, much cheaper accommodation than Koh Samui, which is a resort town. Besides, there's no diving off Koh Samui. They ruined the reefs. All the "good" diving is done off Koh Tao or Ang Thong Marine Park, which can also be dived from Koh Tao. Koh Tao is a good place for the beginner. People who've done a lot of diving will be far less impressed.

Koh Lanta: West coast. Has better diving. Little more money but worth it. All shops dive the famous Hin Daeng (Red Rock) and Hin Muang (Purple Rock). Lanta Divers is an excellent company. Stay on Long Beach. Best for backpackers. Most fun. Nicest beach. Another good reason to stay there is that the west coast desperately needs tourists to return after the tsunami. It's a beautiful island, which did not receive the kind of damage that Phuket and Phi Phi did. Most of it has been repaired by now.

MALAYSIA
Perhentian Islands: The diving is lovely here. There's a nice variety of sites, including two wrecks. It's very affordable, though accommodation is a bit pricier in Malaysia than it is in Thailand. Had the opposite season. Shuts down during monsoon. Stay on Pulau Kecil (Small Island), on long beach. This is one of the prettiest beaches I've seen in SE Asia. It's also the most fun. Spice Divers is an excellent company.

INDONESIA
Gilli Trawangan: This is a good place to take an advanced course. It's very affordable. It's loads of fun. You can also get the scoop on ultra cheap liveaboards. And, once you're advanced, you can head back to Bali or any of Indo's other fab dive locales for some wicked diving. Blue Marlin is an excellent, well-run dive shop. Like Koh Tao, this is a good place for instruction but not the most amazing dive spot in the world. Though coral is only good in deeper sites, you'll still see loads of sharks and turtles on most every dive.

Komodo: Not sure how adventurous you are, but if you are planning on heading into eastern Indonesia, Komodo is a must-see. Had the best dive of my life there -- too many manta rays to count. All the diving is done from Lubuanbajo, which is on the western tip of Flores. Komodo is also pretty affordable, when dived from Lubuanbajo. People shell out major cash to dive this region from Bali-based liveaboards. Reefseekers was an amazing company. Two of the best DM's I've ever had.

Togean Islands, Sulawesi: If you have A LOT of time and will power, then don't miss the Togean Islands. This place is island paradise defined. Beautiful reefs, fish, beaches, sunsets ... It takes two days to get there from any direction. The diving is CHEAP. Accomodation is simple but absolutely beautiful. Cost is about $7 to $10 US a day. This includes meals. The diving is beautiful. You will never, never want to leave. Black Marlin is the best dive shop. It's on the island Kadidiri. I liked this place better than famous Bunaken.

Lembeh Straits, Sulawesi: Once you've perfected your buoyancy, head here for some killer muck diving.

VIETNAM
Nha Trang: The diving here is pleasant. The beach is beautiful. There are many, many dive shops to chose from. Depending on the time of year, the water may be a wee bit cold. It's a little pricier than Thailand, but if you are already in Vietnam, then why not dive there?

nvm

ssra30:
Koh Tao would be around $40-$50 a night, plus diving $40-50 for diving (figure 4 dives a day).

40-50$ a dive??? ouch!

that hurts compared to the $20 i gotta pay in PG... but nice to know though since i plan to dive in thailand if a project being planned gets off the drawing boards...

Jag

shugar:
40-50$ a dive??? ouch!

I think the meaning was 40 - 50 $ for a whole day's diving, not per dive. Sites are close and local trips not expensive from Koh Tao. Here in Phuket its about 50 U$ for a 2 dive day trip, but that's all day 8am - 4pm with drinks and food.

As to an earlier question, you can get around-the-world tickets from a number of air travel brokers for very reasonable prices (even in the $1,000 range). Personally I use Air Brokers Intl. and have been pleased with their service and rates. For $1,600 I went to Hong Kong, Bangkok, K.L., Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands and Tahiti over a three month period. Dying to do it again either in Asia or a combinatiuon of Asia, Africa and Europe.

Dr. Bill

I have just done Open Water Diver and Advanced Open Water Diver in Koh Tao and after a month off I am going back to do my Divemaster, I have just fallen in love with the water.........its awsome!
I am training with Aquademia Dive and having an awsome time.
Koh Tao is fine after the disaster and a great place to learn, the nightlife is excellent and its a really freindly place to be.
I really can't recommend Aquademia enough, if you want lots of helpful info then mail Mira at info @aquademiadive.com she told me all about just about everything before I got there so i knew exactly what to expect!
Happy Diving
The Water baby

I'm not a diver but love to snorkel. My wife and I spent 2 weeks on Pulau Perhentian Besar last July (letting our jungle injuries heal). Stayed at Fauna Beach Chalets. $10 a night for a nice bungalow on the beach with a breeze. Nice family runs it. Snorkeling was superb at shark point and all the divers remarked how fine their dives were. The cove where Fauna Beach is has about 10 places to stay. It's mellow and nice. The other side of the Island is Higher End and busier. Long Beach on Kecil looks fine but is much busier and more for the youger set. If I was right out of college.........and single. Anyway, there's a nice dive center called Alu Alu that told me what I was seeing every day and I'm sure they'd be great to hire, or some of the locals. Perhentian Besar was very nice, inexpensive, safe, and food excellent. There was a lovely young single woman from Singapore who was staying there solo for 3 weeks. Have fun........Chris ........and take the slow boat out

drbill:
Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Bali... the list is endless. There is some great diving. You shouldn't rule out the areas affected by the tsunami, at least in Thailand. There is some great diving to be had and some really nice folks. If you're concerned, the Gulf of Thailand coast was not affected to any real degree from what I hear.

Dr. Bill

Could you give a link to Air Brokers Intl. I did a search and came up blank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom