Where can I photograph these shark species?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been wanting to photograph Great Whites and Bull sharks. From the research that I have done, cheapest and the most guaranteed Great White encounters can be done from a cage in South Africa. Tiger sharks can be done in Bahamas though if anyone can recommend a dive operator that would be wonderful.

Bull sharks? Does anyone have any idea where we can dive and photograph these? If there are an tour operators that could guarantee a bull shark encounter in open water I would love to get their contact. Thanks

Bull sharks? Does anyone have any idea where we can dive and photograph these? If there are an tour operators that could guarantee a bull shark encounter in open water I would love to get their contact. Thanks

I've heard there are some Bull Shark specific dives in/around the Playa Del Carmen area of Mexico. There were some resent threads on the subject; might check it out.

Bulls are a regular fixture at the Beqa Lagoon shark dives in Fiji. Contact Aqua Trek in Fiji.

Last edited:
Have seen bulls and tigers in South Africa (both at Protea Banks on same dive, bulls at Sodwana), I'd say great chance at both at Protea Banks and maybe Aliwai @feb-april. Only great whites I've ever senn were cage diving in Cape Town, but look at Guadalupe Island as someone else mentioned and Port Lincoln, South Australia

Have seen bulls and tigers in South Africa (both at Protea Banks on same dive, bulls at Sodwana), I'd say great chance at both at Protea Banks and maybe Aliwai @feb-april. Only great whites I've ever senn were cage diving in Cape Town, but look at Guadalupe Island as someone else mentioned and Port Lincoln, South Australia

Yes. I have been looking to dive SA too. Now do they dive with Great Whites out of the cage too? Is it possible or would it be too risky? I dont know of any place that does that.

There are two dive ops that operate from Pacific Harbour and do the shark dives in Bega Lagoon. The do a two tank trip.

The first tank is a multi-level dive with different size sharks at each level. The bottom level there were always far too many sharks to count but many of them were reef and nurse sharks. A good number of bulls as well, but the number of reefs and the mass of smaller fish would make it a bit difficult to get a good clear shot of the bulls. The mid-level stop and the shallowest stops on this dive are smaller reef sharks.

The second tank you go to a different area and it is almost always all bull sharks. When I was did this dive it was always in the area of 20-40 bull sharks and some of them were truly impressive in size.

One caveat would be that if Scar the tiger shark shows up, which happens periodically and not according to any real pattern that they are aware of, there are far fewer bulls as most don't want to mess with the tiger.

During these dives they tend to overweight you and send you right to the bottom. You are surrounded by staff who carry shark canes and you are herded from one spot to another.

There is another shark dive in Fiji that is up at the top of the Yasawas. This dive is much more relaxed and actually feels like diving. However, there far fewer bulls and they are not of such impressive size either.

One caveat would be that if Scar the tiger shark shows up, which happens periodically and not according to any real pattern that they are aware of, there are far fewer bulls as most don't want to mess with the tiger.

And is that because a Tiger shark is generally a more aggressive specie than a bull shark?

Aggressive towards?????

The way I understand it, Bull sharks are generally the most aggressive species of shark, followed by the Great White and then the tiger.

I am not sure if bull sharks always yield to tigers but according to the DM's I dove with when doing the shark dives in Bega Lagoon, Scar is a rather large tiger that does not hesitate to attack the bull sharks in the are and so they generally give Scar a wide berth.

So we are saying that if similar sized bull and tiger sharks went at each other a bull shark would win. But since Tiger sharks grow larger a fully grown tiger would dominate a fully grown bull shark?

Back
Top Bottom