Where can you get scubapro repair parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I just took my regulator in for it's yearly service. I went to pick it up and the bill was over $100. I was charged $70 labor plus parts. I know, I should have kept up with the warranty paperwork for the reg but I didn't. The parts didn't bother me, it was the labor. Now I have seen posts by people who service their own regs, my question is where to find the parts? Any help would be appreciated

Well pcscuba the questions stands, "Did you get what you paid for?". $70 labor + parts sounds about right. The important thing is, did the job get done right and are you comfortable diving with them. The above concern is exactly why people service there own regs. However it is not as simple as unscrewing some things, putting in some new o-rings and presto you're done. You should have an understanding of the regulators and the right tools. Remeber if you screw up you may just kill your self.

If you still want to maintain your own regs the you should pick up SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR . It is a must have. As for parts you may just get a PM from someone. Otherwise you need to try to find a shop that will sell you parts.

Jambi

To get an idea of what you might need to take your reg apart, clean it, then reassemeble, and test it to make sure its within specs (which, btw, you will need the service parts consisting of orings, HP and LP seats, various other components, and the manufacturers service manual) check out this website: www.scubatools.com

pcscuba:
I just took my regulator in for it's yearly service. I went to pick it up and the bill was over $100. I was charged $70 labor plus parts. I know, I should have kept up with the warranty paperwork for the reg but I didn't. The parts didn't bother me, it was the labor. Now I have seen posts by people who service their own regs, my question is where to find the parts? Any help would be appreciated

-Do you complain about all other professionals service rates.( is it OK if people say you're overpaid)

-How many dives will you get out of it before it needs service again providing you take care of it. 100 - 150?

-What's your time worth? expect 2-3 hours if you don't do it all the time.

-Oh have you priced the speciaty tools yet at scubatools.com

-Do you have a proper service manual and all the current scuba pro service bulletins

-if you need to fine tune it feel free to blame yourself and enjoy your first dive on it - perhaps the bath tub would be best.

Please be informed before you go in over your head.Oh and it's not just about me protecting my living it's about value for services rendered.

While not cheap, $70.00 for a good job on a 1st, two 2nds, & SPG is not out of line. The Scubatools catalog may look a little scary, but for a DIYer, the essential tools are not too expensive. I spent under $50.00 at scubatools including the Christolube. As Jambi said, start with Harlow's book and see how deep you want to get. SP parts are fairly common on e-bay, but not cheap. Good news is you can expect to go 3 years or more between major service with good care.

If it is just the $70.00, shop around for someone cheaper (and hope he is good). But if you think it would be fun spending an afternoon working on your regulator, have at it.

We charge $35 for labor on an annual service but then we are also 1500 miles from any salt water and the market is a little weaker than it would be if everything west of the South Dakota border fell into the Pacific.

$25.00 per stage is a pretty standard rate, so $70 for a 1rst, 2nd and octo is a fair price. $70 for just a 1rst and 2nd stage would be high.

On E-Bay

pcscuba:
Now I have seen posts by people who service their own regs, my question is where to find the parts? Any help would be appreciated

Dive Source:
-Do you complain about all other professionals service rates.( is it OK if people say you're overpaid)

-How many dives will you get out of it before it needs service again providing you take care of it. 100 - 150?

-What's your time worth? expect 2-3 hours if you don't do it all the time.

-Oh have you priced the speciaty tools yet at scubatools.com

-Do you have a proper service manual and all the current scuba pro service bulletins

-if you need to fine tune it feel free to blame yourself and enjoy your first dive on it - perhaps the bath tub would be best.

Please be informed before you go in over your head.Oh and it's not just about me protecting my living it's about value for services rendered.

I think you're being a little harsh here; I didn't get the feeling that pscuba was insinuating that he was overcharged or complaining about the service. To me it sounds like he just wants to try doing it himself after spending more than he expected. Nothing wrong with that, as long as he learns it correctly.

gaschef:
<mod edit to remove personal attack that was deleted>

Hmm,

I guess I am also one of those jerks who jacks up the insurance costs because I like to do things myself as well. My only suggestion would be to seek out the proper training before you rip apart a regulator. Fixing one is not rocket science at all and yes paying somebody $35.00-$50.00 an hour can be a lot to swallow. Just seek the proper training before you do it. If you look around there will be somebody who is willing to train you in regulator repair. It might be pricey, but the money you save in the long run makes it all worth it. I am actually in the process of seeking out good quality training now (Regulator Repair) and I think I have found a good facility. Not everyone who does things him/her self is going to die. Your job as a technician isn't that difficult and I would rather be paying a police officer or a fireman $35.00-$50.00 an hour than a regulator technician. Just my .02 cents worth

gaschef:
because an unskilled and unqualified person tried to fix it.

I see you have met some of the scuba techs I ran into before I started doing my own. So where do you have your regs serviced?

Back
Top Bottom