Where can you get scubapro repair parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would pay a whole lot more for the tools you need to do this yourself than $100.

Getting the training to do it properly is also no walk in the park. The annual DEMA show has training seminars available, however I do not know that they are open to the public. I have been told that a dive shop must refer you to the respective equipment repair course at DEMA. I have not confirmed that however.

Once you have taken the course at DEMA and bought all the needed tools, I am sure you could then get parts from the manufacturer. In the meantime, I seriously doubt it. A dive shop would be strictly prohibited from selling you parts alone.

The DIY issue would be many times more expensive than the annual $100 service fee. So the typical make or buy decision virtually always would point in the direction of paying the annual service fee.

triton94949:
You would pay a whole lot more for the tools you need to do this yourself than $100.

Getting the training to do it properly is also no walk in the park. The annual DEMA show has training seminars available, however I do not know that they are open to the public. I have been told that a dive shop must refer you to the respective equipment repair course at DEMA. I have not confirmed that however.

Once you have taken the course at DEMA and bought all the needed tools, I am sure you could then get parts from the manufacturer. In the meantime, I seriously doubt it. A dive shop would be strictly prohibited from selling you parts alone.

The DIY issue would be many times more expensive than the annual $100 service fee. So the typical make or buy decision virtually always would point in the direction of paying the annual service fee.

Depends on the reg. Look at my situation:
Conshelf XIV - around $30.
Parts kits - $32 (1 1st and 2 2nd)
IP gauge - $25
Vance Harlow's book - $50
Service manual - free from aqualung website
Various screwdrivers and wrenches - $15
Christolube - $20

Unless I forgot something, the total(including the regs to be serviced) is $172. Leave out the regs and the tools(assuming that you already had them, like I did), and you are down to $127. The only recurring cost is the parts kits, and every few years, some more Christolube. That's $32, assuming that you replace the parts every year(some don't). Which means, you pretty much break even the second year, and save every additional year.

So, you certainly CAN save money with DIY. Depends on the regs, your warranty and the availability/price of parts kits. Granted, the Conshelf series is operationally very simple, and easy to service, so YMMV.

Somewhat offtopic: I picked up a Calypso J 2nd stage at a DS this week. It was in the junk pile, and since I had given him a good trade on something else, he just gave it to me. Very nice looking. I cracked it open, gave it a good cleaning and flipped the LP seat. Ready to go.

Creed:
Depends on the reg. ...Unless I forgot something, the total(including the regs to be serviced) is $172. Leave out the regs and the tools(assuming that you already had them, like I did), and you are down to $127. ...

You are precisely right, that it depends on the reg. And with ScubaPro it is definitely not cheap nor easy. With ScubaPro, the tools are proprietary and expensive. And you left out the training costs and a the trip to DEMA.

triton94949:
You are precisely right, that it depends on the reg. And with ScubaPro it is definitely not cheap nor easy. With ScubaPro, the tools are proprietary and expensive. And you left out the training costs and a the trip to DEMA.

It is hard to find simpler regs to service than scubapro, with the exception of the D400. Tools are not protrietary. Every Scubapro tool you could possibly want is available from scubatools.com. There cost is a matter of prespective. Sure, a 2nd stage adjusting tool may run $50 which for most of us isn't cheap. It is also quite unnecessary for a DIYer. It just takes a bit longer. I service all my SP regs (no D400) and the only specialty tools I bought are a bullet tool for the Mk5/10 and the assembly tool for the Mk20/25. Cost was about $25. I made my own tools for the ambient chamber and the HP end cap.

Documentation, both after market & proprietary, are readily available if you do the research. If you must have formal training to DIY, maybe you should leave the service to your LDS.

It is simple.

triton94949:

Well, I haven't been to DEMA, and I have had no problems. But, you may be correct about scubapro regs. I was simply noting that, if you choose your regs wisely, you can cut costs for DIY.

pcscuba:
I just took my regulator in for it's yearly service. I went to pick it up and the bill was over $100. I was charged $70 labor plus parts. I know, I should have kept up with the warranty paperwork for the reg but I didn't. The parts didn't bother me, it was the labor. Now I have seen posts by people who service their own regs, my question is where to find the parts? Any help would be appreciated
I get my o-rings in the tool room at the factory I work at. I also fabricate any special tools I need. I dont think you need to chance the HP seat in the first stage untill the intermediate pressure is not within spec. With the downstream 2nd stage you can flip the seat over and use it again or make a new one with the right size gasket punch and a sheet of rubber.
I also get parts on e-bay.
the skill level required to service regulaters is way over rated.

cnctina:
I get my o-rings in the tool room at the factory I work at. I also fabricate any special tools I need. I dont think you need to chance the HP seat in the first stage untill the intermediate pressure is not within spec. With the downstream 2nd stage you can flip the seat over and use it again or make a new one with the right size gasket punch and a sheet of rubber.
I also get parts on e-bay.
the skill level required to service regulaters is way over rated.

I guess I'm just a wuss, but I like having my regs serviced using the actual correct parts, installed by a repair tech who knows exactly what every single part should look, feel and sound like.

Terry

Poseidon's Prodigy:
Just to point it out... how much do you pay the automotive technician per hour?
My auto technician is my best friend, he sells me parts for cost, I do the work myself, I get service manuals from Ford, I never took a DEMA training seminar to fix it, My car has killed less people than Senetor Kennedy's car and I bet he pays a licensed mechanic to fix his car.

Back
Top Bottom