Where did all the Nassau Dive Shops go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Driznik

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't been to Nassau in 2-3 years, but I'm going back to get married in early November. I had planned on booking with the Nassau Scuba Center again (I dove with them last time I was there and enjoyed it), but discovered that they have recently shut down - and from browsing this forum it looks like the same thing happened to a number of the other shops.

What happened? Is it a political thing? Is it just straight Darwinian competition? I seem to remember there being a fair number of charters last time I was there, now it seems to basically be down to Stuart Cove and Bahama Divers.

Does anybody know?

Thanks,

D

I think that's it. Scuba Nassau has a "letter" of going out of business on their website.

In some other threads on here in past months, someone said that Bahamas Divers wasn't that far behind them.....

Are there only enough divers in Nassau for two shops - maybe soon only one?

From what I've read here it looks like Stuart Cove has a quasi-cattle boat kind of rep.

There has to be room in Nassau for a charter that specializes in more experienced divers - doesn't there?

I think that in general, Nassau is no longer the favored dive location that it once was in the past. It is very expensive and the diving, while good, does not compete well with other locations that have equally good, if not better diving and are far cheaper.

Stuart has multiple advantages in setting up his operations the biggest of which, according to competitors, is good political connections. He has done a much better job of marketing and promotion than his competitors and seems to be more consistant in the service he offers. He has also tailored his operation to the generally inexperienced cruiseship and resort crowd, who aren't spoiled by the six packs of Cozumel.

I am going to Nassau in Oct and was also concerned about Stuart's "cattle boat" reputation... I too am looking for a company that caters to experienced divers. After a week there we're headed to Long Island, Stella Maris, anybody stayed/dove with them?

DiverEvans:
I am going to Nassau in Oct and was also concerned about Stuart's "cattle boat" reputation... I too am looking for a company that caters to experienced divers. After a week there we're headed to Long Island, Stella Maris, anybody stayed/dove with them?

I would have to agree with what I have read. I am headed to Nassau over Thanksgiving and really only found 2 Operators Stuat Cove and Bahama Scuba. I did find some email addresses for independents, but they came back as invalid. I am not thrilled with the prospect of the operator dictating my bottom time, but I guess I will have no choice.

I am going with a friend from work who is a relatively inexperienced diver, I am somewhat advanced. Can anyone confirm or deny the limits Stuart Cove puts on bottom time, or do you actually get a reasonable dive done, with some decent bottom time. (they told me the first dive would be 20 minutes, half hour surface interval and second dive about 40 minutes)

Thanks,

LBD

I just returned from Nassau diving with Stuart Coves. If you are there for multiple days and show that you are a competent diver they have no problems letting you do your own thing. The DM led dives are about 80' for 30 minutes for the first dive, 30 min. surface interval and then a second dive for 40-50 minutes at another shallower site (12'-40' depending on the site). If you are ready to jump in the water as soon as the engines are shut down and you go off on your own you can easily extend the times by 5-10 minutes or more. Just let the DM know that you are going off on your own and they will tell you when you need to be on the boat. All the DM's were very easy going and were fairly open to most suggestions for dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom