Where did ScubaBoard Go -- A brief explanation of the downtime.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Late last week after experiencing heavy user load we decided to upgrade our machine to 2Gigs of memory. Shortly after the upgrade took place the machine began to cause strange problems with rebooting. When we initially contacted our server provider thee informed us there had been some issues with power on our rack (the area where our server is located). These issues were intermittent over a two day period so for two days the true problems went unnoticed. During this period the server was continuously rebooting its self causing our mysql database to lock and corrupt some data which caused most of the errors you saw.

By Thursday it became apparent that something else very, very wrong was going on. Initially we thought it was a ram issue so that was replaced. When the problem persisted a new chassis was put in, the problem still persisted. Finally it was decided the entire server OS and hard drives needed to be wiped clean. For whatever reasons this took nearly two days as more hardware was swapped in and out. When the new OS was finally up and running the reboot problem was still there. After speaking to a higher level tech we were given a completely custom install, all of our hardware was replaced and the server was monitored for several hours. This morning (Sunday) we determined the box had enough uptime to indicate the problem had been resolved so we re-configured the machine and brought back the board data.

At this point we are about 95% certain our problem is gone, but because we don’t know what the exact problem was (we expect a hardware – software conflict), we can’t be entirely certain. To alleviate future problems we have increased our backup frequency so there will always be a good copy of ScubaBoard’s data near by. Tomorrow we will be working with our server provider to try and understand the problem and the remedy a bit better; I will update you as to what is accomplished.

You have my most sincere apologies for the downtime and delay; hopefully you all had a nice weekend away from the computer and in the water!

Please discuss this issue at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=492314

Again,

Ted's efforts have been tireless, and we all appreciate the frustration that you went through. Hopefully, the hotlines for board abuse will calm down and we can get back to our cyber lives.

BTW, anyone actually dive this weekend??? :eyebrow:

NetDoc:
Again,

Ripped my neck seal AND SB down. A double bummer. Looks like both repairs complete, thankfully!

NetDoc:

Yes indeed...vis at Looe key was better than 60 feet today & Adolphus Busch was 40 feet. Water temps in low 70's. Air temps mid 70's.

A good time was had by all....

The time and trouble taken to provide us with an excellent Board is greatly appreciated. To make the effort to give us all an insight into the challenges encountered - and resolved - all the more so.

Kudos to the Home Team!

for all your hard work. As a former sysadmin I can appreciate what you've been going through, and wanted to express my appreciation for what you do and the service here at scubaboard that you provide.

J.

NetDoc:

I wish I was, but I spent my weekend shuttling a van full of 15 year old girls between Orlando and Altamonte Springs.

Next weekend for sure.

Marc

You have my most sincere apologies for the downtime and delay; hopefully you all had a nice weekend away from the computer and in the water!

Your tireless efforts are very much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom