Where did you dive today? New years day!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lone Wolf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Blue Marble Divers and friends spent the day at Mt. Storm. It was a beautiful day, high of 24 degrees, no wind and bright sunshine.:D We had a generator with two kerosene heaters, that helped after the dive. there were 8 people, 7 divers, Jay Judge and friend, my wife and I, owner and son, and another friend. The water was 55 degrees. After the dive we had homemade chili and homemade chicken soup. A really incredible day for Storm!!

Yrth,

Yes it was a great day!!

I could not believe we had the whole place to ourselves.

Out of the 4 or 5 times I've dived Mt. Storm on New Year's Day, in the past 8 years, the conditions were the best I've ever had there.

Some were worried about the roads, they were no problem. Sure there was spots of slush and snow, but by driving cautiously no one had any problems or issues.

BMD

Glad everyone had a great and safe time. Safety for others and yourself should always be a number factor. A great time could have gone bad if something happened. NOAA's forecast was not good for the area on their post. Weather is like a game of poker, sometimes it will fool ya.
Happy New Year to Everybody! Have a SAFE one!

Glad everyone had a great and safe time. Safety for others and yourself should always be a number factor. A great time could have gone bad if something happened. NOAA's forecast was not good for the area on their post. Weather is like a game of poker, sometimes it will fool ya.
Happy New Year to Everybody! Have a SAFE one!

I have been going to the mountains of WV. for many years as a kayaker, so I have a lot of experience reading conditions there. That plus intellicast was calling for warm and stable conditions. Also, I went up an hour and a half before anyone else to check conditions, and would have called the trip off if the road conditions had been bad. By the time the others arrived the roads had melted. A lot of sunshine no clouds.

Glad you guys had a good time, I'm sure Jay did.
Mt. Storm is just too far from Va. Beach & I did have plans to be off the coast with some friends, but those darn Gale force winds yesterday & with a small craft advisory today it was decided to live to dive another day.

RadDiver
Sorry to hear you were blown out, weather does as it chooses whether we like it or not. You got the bad end of the weather stick, we got the good end. The weather we had today at Storm was one in a million. We'll be back to the windy, cloudy, snowy, brutal norm tomorrow. Hope you can get out soon, maybe the wind gods will calm down for the week-end.

Yrth

Did you forget to mention, ground support. She noticed it right away. You'll have some explaining to do!!

BMD

A few of us from Chattanooga and North Ga. attempted a New Year's Day dive early this morning in the Tn. River in the downtown area. Air temp was 27, winds from the east @ 5-7mph, water temp about 48-50. It was all ok until we actually got underwater. 1ft vis in water the color of Mt. Dew and black Navy coffee mixed, heavy silt, and a current from hell. (Seems no one checked to see if the dam was releasing.) :shakehead:
By the time me and my brother (my dive buddy) got to the bottom, we had to lock arms to keep from seperating, the dive flag/float I was towing took off and we was on a ride that can only be described as a trip down a drag strip with your eyes closed! Grabbed a couple rocks, logs and dug in trying to slow down. Decided to thumb it and see where we were at. When we got to the surface we was already zipping by our exit area and had to hump it back. After all that; I can honestly say, "I still had a darn good time!" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom