Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not today but last week I had the best week imaginable (well at least for me)

14 dives over 6 days in the DR. 12 of the dives were in Sosua Bay - nice warm water & colourful fish for a change and 2 of the them were at the Blue Lagoon caverns close to Cabrera, incredible dives that I'll never forget.

On my last day of diving before coming home I had the privilege of diving with a spinal injured quadrapalegic who was doing his first post-certification dives. A very cool guy from Seattle who showed me how a determined spirit can triumph over what life throws at you.

All in all an experience I'll never forget!

Dove yesterday:
Sea Emperor and Ancient Mariner out of Ft. Lauderdale
40-50ft viz, 85 on top, 82 @ 75 ft. Couple of sting rays. mild South running current @ the Emperor
40 minutes later, mild north current at the Mariner.

ditto
:coffee:

Two dives yesterday ... the first was to a fishing reef about a 1/4 mile offshore. We used scooters from a city park to get there. Weather was terrible, lots of runoff and waves in the shallows. Once we got below about 30 feet it cleared up. Nice dive ... max depth 60 feet, run time 70 minutes.

Second dive was at my local mudhole. I did a solo dive down to the bottle field ... to see who was home. Max depth 101 feet, run time 66 minutes. Took a few pictures on this dive. Here's the ones I liked the best ...

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4851.jpg

Today we're heading off to some sunken barges. Among other things, we're planning to clean up some line other divers have left behind.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Love the octopus photo, Bob!

Yesterday, took the Ocean Spirit out of San Carlos, Mexico.

Dive 1 - 350' Ferry (name unknown) sunk as an artificial reef. 70fsw, 10-15 viz, moderate current. Originally, it was 3 decks high, but one has collapsed. Didn't penetrate more than head, shoulders and camera.

Dive 2 - Shark hunt (with camera). Dropped in on the sea mount near the South Point of Isla de San Pedro Nolasco. Great viz 60-80', moderate to strong current. At 105fsw saw 6 or 7, 10-12' hammerheads. :cool3: Unfortunately, they moved off before I could get a decent picture.

Dive 3 - "Aquarium Dive" - The "La Caverna" dive site at Isla de San Pedro Nolasco. Stayed in 20-30fsw (near my deco limit) and swam with the pretty fish and sea lions. Did see several Giant Damsels nesting, not exactly rare, but uncommon.

Seas flat, sun warm, just a beautiful day. Water was 82F on the surface and 68F at 70fsw. Lycra dive skin and an AL80, pure dork fun diving. :D

Fun weekend diving. Saturday was an underwater pumpkin carving experience in Colpoy's Bay, Wiarton Ontario.

Air temperature was just above freezing by 10 am (frost on the rooftops on the drive up). Water temperature 51 degrees F, 44 min, 15 ft, pumpkin carving and collect all scraps in yellow mesh bag. First pic is my first cold water sidemount dive after taking a sidemounting course in warm water Florida. The tanks are hanging way too low, valves should be at my armpits and the tank butts should be parallel to my body. Adjustments made after the dive. Next three pics more pumpkin carving, thanks to my buddy Brant.

Drove farther up the Bruce Penninsula to Tobermory Saturday afternoon, got in a solo dusk at the Tugs where I saw a Long Nose Gar fish, my first ever. It was about 18 inches long. Very cool. Stayed overnight in Toby, then did more diving Sunday. Last two pics are in Tobermory. First time I've gone on a dive boat where the windshields were covered in frost. Two nice boat dives on the last charter day of the 2009 season, wreck of the Forest City, 48 degrees F, 136 ft, 29 min; then the wreck Niagara II, 49 degrees F, 82 ft, 37 min. Final pic is the rigging for my sidemount tanks at a shore dive at the Lighthouse, 49 degrees F, 77 ft, 36 min.

Attachments

• uw pumpkin carving 3 x.jpg
    uw pumpkin carving 3 x.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 34
  • pumpkin carving 2 x.jpg
    pumpkin carving 2 x.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 29
  • uw pumpking carving 1 x.jpg
    uw pumpking carving 1 x.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 32
  • wreck pumpin x.jpg
    wreck pumpin x.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 34
  • frost on boat windshield x .jpeg
    frost on boat windshield x .jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 35
  • sidemount ontario style x .jpeg
    sidemount ontario style x .jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 34
Dove yesterday at The Dive Stop in New Melle. Went out with 2 other SB members, my wife Biologic and GBray.

We all dove wet, 5 mil, and the water on my computer showed a brisk 56 degrees. Vis was darned good. Between Gary, Jeanne and I we probably have a combined 150-175 dives in that particular qarry, and we all saw a submerged car for the very first time (an overturned 240Z) that. It is within 50 feet of a submerged pickup truck that I have personally dove on about 20 times... I never knew the Z was there because that area is almost always about 1 foot vis.

After 40 minutes or so, Jeanne (Biologic) indicated she was getting cold, so I signaled us up to 15 feet or so and headed back to the dock at that level (so we could do a "moving" safety stop... unfortunately, between trying to keep track of my video equipment, hold 15 feet, watch two different buddies and navagate strictly by compass (we were in an area where there was no visibility to any natural feature), I started swimming us in circles! What a DORK I was being. Gary thought I was doing it intentionally to warm her up :) I could tell what I was doing, but I was pretty task loaded and was messing up on the area that I was worst at. After about 4 minutes I just thumbed the dive, surfaced and let the other to laugh at me for a while!

I went out with 2500 PSI, total dive time of 46 minutes and I had 1100 left. My wife Jeanne, who is a tiny thing and usually never even breaths underwater (or so it sometimes seems) went out with 2700, and came back with 900 (in her 63)... for the first half of the dive I was using more PSI (although, obviously, not more air since she had a smaller tank) but as she got cold her air use went ballistic. Not a problem, we were watching it, but hey, it was kind of interesting.

I did shoot a bit of video for no particular reason other than I like to shoot video. It's just Gary swimming around a bit. Yes, I know I need video lights. One thing at a time!

Spent another couple hours in Blue Springs this weekend, nothing better!! (not really)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom