Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Past Sunday I dove Coco's East (saw eagle rays and black tip shark) and Coco's West in Guam. Not too mention a wreck dive at American Tanker. All great, all fun as always.

Last night I went back to Redondo for a reprise of the previous evening. This time it was a solo dive. I did 65 minutes and maxed at 13 fsw. Although it wasn't as exciting a dive as the previous evening, I did manage to get some good use outta the macro lens ...

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

It was so cold that when I ended the dive the moisture on my drysuit froze before I could get out of it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last night I went back to Redondo for a reprise of the previous evening.

Darn, next time I am back in LAX area I got to get in! :) I got more experience and different equipment and both should help to actually get me in past the surf :)

As for me, after extended SI of almost 3 weeks I got back in diving Sunday. Darn OMS didn't ship p-valve to LDS in 2 weeks so this was another dry suit dive w/o it!

Was diving at the local quarry. Came to the quarry as football game was starting and setting things up. This was my first time diving my own doubles I've picked up from a shop so I realized that yoke insert was in the DIN valve and my hex keys were imperial and this one needed metric hex key to undo. Left the tanks on the bench and headed to Lowe's to pick up metric keys since no-one was at the quarry yet. I've returned and still no-one. Listening at the game till then end of the half (Cats vs Pats 7-7 at that point) when truck pulls in with 3 divers. Yay! I get to dive today!

I know two of the 3 guys however I never did dive with them before as they dive re-breathers. Normally that would not be ok, but today I just wanted to get wet. I had doubles and they had pony/bailout so that was ok. Did around 50min dive and at the end I was running to the bench to get my gear off while they were chatting still standing in the water... darn OMS for not shipping p-valve in time!!! :)

Dive 87 I think :) My goal is to hit 100 on 12/31.

Last night I went back to Redondo for a reprise of the previous evening. This time it was a solo dive. I did 65 minutes and maxed at 13 fsw. Although it wasn't as exciting a dive as the previous evening, I did manage to get some good use outta the macro lens ...

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

It was so cold that when I ended the dive the moisture on my drysuit froze before I could get out of it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, those are great pics...your pics are always great pics....

I went diving in Lake Ontario today, the wind was out of the northeast when I started, and during the dive switched around to the southeast, which means lots of bad weather coming in. A bit of surge, lots of wet snow and fog. After the dive, I got talking with a retired Toronto Harbour Police Dive team member, he was looking for driftwood to make a Christmas Eve bonfire, and he was curious about how dive gear had changed since the '80s. He said that the name of his team was the Rescue and Recovery branch, but mostly it was recovery. We talked about lots of fatalities, old and recent, and about how the Toronto Harbour had changed...and not changed, when bad weather came through.

Really, I felt fortunate to stumble upon such a conversation as he knew personally and had dived with so many of the original divers in Ontario from the 1970's and 1980's, names I had just heard about.

"We are here because we stand on the shoulders of giants."

Man, I feel fortunate to have had today's dive and post-dive experience.

I went back to Redondo yesterday with friend and fellow instructor Sandra. Since it was a mid-day dive we opted to enter at the south beach and swim out and around the boat dock and fishing pier at a depth of around 85 fsw, exploring the bottle field and hopefully getting a few pictures. This is a dive you can only do in winter, when there's very little boating and fishing activity. I normally will find a few lost fishing lures, which I "harvest" for my friend Rod, who loves to fish. I usually just collect 'em over the winter and give him a whole baggie full of lures in the spring.

As we're traversing at depth, I noticed something a little unusual ... a large, plastic tackle box laying on its side on the bottom. When I say large, I am talking maybe two feet long by a foot wide by a foot and a half high ... with three large, slide-out drawers that turned out to be full of fishing gear. Well, thinking of Rod, I decided to just haul it in with me. So I clipped off my camera and spent the next 40 minutes or so swimming along carrying this thing.

Once I got it to shore I drained all the water out and hauled it back to my car ... where I opened the drawers and explored the goodies. It'd been down there a while, and all the lead sinkers had turned black and were leaching lead all over everything. It'd obviously been down there a while. But all the lures, flashers, and quite a few other goodies were quite usable once I'd cleaned them up.

Rod's gonna be real surprised when I show up with a bunch of lures all gift-wrapped in their very own tackle box this year ... :D

Dive stats ... 64 minutes bottom time, max depth 86 fsw, average depth 62 fsw.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here's a couple of topside pics of yesterday's Humber Bay dive, including my buddy Al 40 and pre-dive snow on the trees at the front of my property near Waterloo, Ontario.

Attachments

• Humber Bay pre-dive dec 24 x.jpg
    Humber Bay pre-dive dec 24 x.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 51
  • dive gear and buddy Al 40 x.jpg
    dive gear and buddy Al 40 x.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 39
  • dec 24 snow x.jpg
    dec 24 snow x.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 42
Elephant Ear Canyon, and Eel Garden to Highway to Heaven diving off the Turks and Caicos Explorer II. Two dolphins, two turtles, big school of Atlantic spadefish, sharks, sun coming up during first dive..........

Molasses Reef - Middle Reef (aka - "Rabbit Ears")

We dove with Island Ventures in Key Largo. They are a "CLASS ACT!" My highest recommendation in Key Largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom