Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove yesterday New Year's Eve at Humber Bay, Toronto, flat as a pancake, 39F degrees. 20 ft viz down to 25 ft, then a haze of silt kicked up from the wind direction dropped viz to 8 ft.

Today's New Year's Day dive at Wiarton Ont, 41F degrees, 40 ft viz.

Just zebra mussels at Humber, gobies and lots of crayfish carcases from winter die back at Wiarton.

Light rain and 3C degrees air temp today at Wiarton, not very winter like at all. The raindrops on the surface of the water (which was also flat as a pancake) was very beautiful, restful.

Too long out of water. Got in at Humber Bay, Toronto.

Nice sunny day, air temp 1C degrees. Water temp 37 F degrees. Nice quality of light in the water, viz not stellar at 25 ft.

Saw a goby.

Unfortunately, not today. In the past I have gone solo at Dutch Springs but they require you to wear a solo locator. I have also done some solo dives off of New Jersey coast (easy ones, nothing deeper than 90 feet). I have also, done some solo dives in Key Largo. This kind of diving is not for everyone, make sure you are confident in your training, equipment, and overall diving skills before attempting this.

my last solo dive about a week ago was in a sump in north alabama with a couple inches of visibility, I managed to stumble upon a connection to another section of dry cave. It was beautiful :D

Feb 19, the Castor, Boynton Beach, Fl with Underwater Explorers. Max depth 109 ft, avg depth 76 feet, total run 52 minutes with EAN 32. No current with free descent and ascent. Many Goliath Grouper and the real treat, two Bull Sharks. One of the best wreck dives I've ever had.

Good diving, Craig

I am sitting here in Panama as an expat of Canada, reading all of the posts from those diving these days in TO... I give you props, you have a bigger pair than I!

I just got into solo diving, testing my experiences slowly but surely. I have thus far logged 6 solo dives, all in and around a depth of 20 - 50 feet around a reef right out front of my door. I have spent most of my time checking out the landscape and taking pictures - especially of the creatures, trying to identify new ones and the oh so abundent Lionfish (all the while plotting my revenge on them freediving with a Hawiian Sling)... oh and treasure hunting (I live 50% of the time near Portobelo, huge shipping lane during Spanish occupation, wars and invasions, 80% of Spanish gold passed through this bay... there has to be something for me to find here)!

I must say it is a great feeling diving solo, you are able to understand your situation that much more and I find I am more in tune with my surroundings when not worried about where others are or what they are doing. I look forward to continuing this trend and growing my skills while following this forum and learning from those more experienced than I.

...around a reef right out front of my door.

I didn't need to read that!....as I sit here in Ohio watching snow blowing "out front of my door!"

Thanks, DCM.

Hi DCM,

I was lucky enough to have a business trip to Panama City last July and had the opportunity to dive near your front door in Portobello. I had a couple of good shallow wall dives in the 50-60 foot range and was told by Rafael, very good DM from Scubapanama, that there are several good deeper wall dives that casual visitors do not generally get to visit. I look forward to the chance to return and see for myself.

You have a great front door, enjoy your solo diving,

Craig

...around a reef right out front of my door.

I didn't need to read that!....as I sit here in Ohio watching snow blowing "out front of my door!"

Thanks, DCM.

Ya... Like he said. I just finished blowing out the laneway!

Anyone jealous enough is welcome to come down and check out the area - I think I just got a weekend gig with one of the ops here!

scubadada, if work ever brings you down here again let me know. I will do my best to show you the locals haunts, both below and above the waves.... actually I may have a need for you yet, the Chitras ate me alive when I first arrived, had an allergic reaction and now watching for signs of leishmaniasis (I am only kidding ppl, about the leishmaniasis at least).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom