Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two solo dives today, off a dive boat but I was fully alone and solo. First off the boat, last on. This is a classic gas burner, and often divers are done at 30 min. The divers get to vote on where to dive and if conditions are safe, the captain goes. Often everyone chooses this dive: “The Blue Hole.” I thought we might dive it so I packed 28% nitrox with MOD of 131 ft. just in case. I was right.

Solo sidemount plus 40 CF pony to practice deco stops.

Max 131 ft
Ave 50 ft
60 minutes
T1: 3094 —> 1550 psi
T2: 3062 —> 1892 psi (right tank)
Pony: negligible (a few breaths at each stop then back to my back gas)

Practice free flow shutdowns, feathering, lost mask, cylinder dropping and retrieval.

Second dive: solo sidemount plus pony off the same boat, SI 52 min
“Spanish Steps” drift with current. I’m a slow diver and don’t like to do much work so all the other divers blew by me and I was, again, left to myself. Found a beautiful nudibranch with its mantle rolled up around itself, species unknown to me (edit: update: I found it’s called Thuridilla gracilis) although I’ve seen this same species three times now here, and always its mantle is rolled up in a fusiform shape. 6 foot long black tip shark (i’ll be honest, I did not notice it’s anal fin, so I’m not sure if it was a black tip reef or a black tip shark. However it’s morphological features were more in keeping with a black tip shark ) that followed me for a few minutes, and a very large black-banned Red lionfish. Very enjoyable dive.
62 ft max, Ave 44 ft 60 min
T1: 1520–>348 psi
T2: 1816–>442 psi
40 cf pony: negligible

What is your trigger pressure to refill your Pony?

I assume you’re asking me.
Really depends on the next dive.
For instance these two dives were not deco and on sidemount so double redundancy was already present. It was brought along for practice. I would have brought it even if it had 500 psi.

After those dives I think I was at about 1500-2000 psi (slowly used over the last 10 days-that was my last refill) which I would have taken for a solo dive with a single 80 as back gas. However I had two planned dives requiring the 40 be filled to its max so it got filled (after these dives).

What is your typical game plan?

I fill my pony when it gets to 150bar. 3L isn’t much air. Full it’s a quarter of a 12L. I’ll only take it to 20m though. Past that I twin up.

I realise you weren’t asking me but I figured I’d chip in anyway. Cause I’m not diving today!

When I have my tanks filled I get the shop to verify and top off my 13 cu pony back up to a cold 3200 - 3300. If it were a 19 I'd be less proactive about it. I only drain the tank before travel and an occasional breath or two when doing drills. Otherwise charged and off with the occasional valve on/off during a dive.

Shoes and socks with shorts??? That is almost as bad as wearing sandals with socks.
Yes he's has terrible verbal diarrhoea but he's wearing work boots with shorts, what would you where to work on a hot Aussie day? Long pants with work boots or shorts and thongs?(Flip flops to you)

Mine is 100 bar on my 30 cu ft bottle.

Yes he's has terrible verbal diarrhoea

I don't view what he says the way you do, I like his contributions even when they seem enigmatic to me sometimes.

what would you where to work on a hot Aussie day? Long pants with work boots or shorts and thongs?(Flip flops to you)

If work requires work boots, it usually requires long pants too. Your hot Aussie day can't possibly be hotter than an average summer day in Libya and we don't wear shorts when going to work, except if you are in the diving or swim business.

P.S. You are taking it way too seriously here. Happy-diver is well capable of responding and taking care of himself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom