Where do I find the deals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryTX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been looking into getting a better camera / housing setup for UW photography, and I'm getting very interested in a Canon G11 / Ikelite housing / strobe package. My question is if there are any highly-reputable shops or sites recommended to get a better deal - or are the Ikelite products all priced the same everywhere? Anyone make a good deal if they are selling a full package?

There is not much price variation on UW photography gear. It's a small market, and prices tend to be steep. For example it costs as much for a housing for my Nikon D200 as the camera runs. So that miracle of technology with pages of menu options, and features that were unheard of 5 years ago costs about the same amount as a plexiglass housing with not much electronics. You can spend 4K easily on an alum housing WITHOUT the ports!

Welcome to the world of UW photography, get out your wallet! :(

I've been looking into getting a better camera / housing setup for UW photography, and I'm getting very interested in a Canon G11 / Ikelite housing / strobe package. My question is if there are any highly-reputable shops or sites recommended to get a better deal - or are the Ikelite products all priced the same everywhere? Anyone make a good deal if they are selling a full package?

If you're primary goal in getting into underwater photography is to save money...you might want to find a different pastime!

:eyebrow:

Most of the major dealers (Reef, Backscatter, UW Photo Pros) will offer some discount on package deals. You may even find it a little cheaper at B&H or Adorama....but they are not going to be much help setting it up or trouble shooting problems.

Dave

Thanks to all for the feedback, even the sarcasm. I'm simply trying to learn from others on SB who have gone through the routine before me. It was through the good folks on SB that I learned who ScubaToys, LeisurePro, etc. are for basic diving gear, saving me some good $ along the way, and now I'm just trying to learn some more. I figure once you know what you want the next step is learning who (if anyone) gives the best deals, who gives the best service, and vice-versa. Thanks again.

I've used B&H, Adorama, H2OPhotoPros, and Reef Photo.

While all of them were good, the prices usually vary. Sometimes one has the highest price on one item and the lowest on another. Often they run specials and if what you want is on special it can be a real deal.

However I can't say enough for the extra mile Reef Photo has gone to help when when I needed it. Unless it's a big price difference (in which case I'd talk to them about it) I'd recommend them. There's nothing like having the right parts and not knowing how to solve a problem with them. Knowing I can call or email for help is worth a lot.

Wally

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom