Where do I put my (D)SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Sorry to sound like a noob (cause I am one! :wink:), but where do you put your (D)SMB? In a pocket? Or clipped to a d-ring?

I'm slowly adding to my kit and would like to add a (D)SMB because I've been reading about currents in Coz and how divers can surface without their DMs...with hundreds of boats in the water...and imagining my head being sliced off by the motors...sorry I'm kinda scared!

Which brings me to how does one deploy one? I was never taught how and tried to do it once but got all tangled up in the string and lost a fin as a result. Sorry, I'm so embarrassed but I'd like to learn how. :idk:

I see DMs do it all the time with such grace and ease...

I suggest clipping on a d-ring and practicing in confined water it’s deployment. Also, PADI offers a DSMB specialty course.

tail d-ring on the crotch strap, best spot for it
I think the likely hood of someone having both never deployed a dsmb and having a BP/W with a crotch strap is slim.

I think the likely hood of someone having both never deployed a dsmb and having a BP/W with a crotch strap is slim.

new divers buy bpw's all the time....

@Dogbowl if diving without a pocket, it's the best place to put it. It isn't technically "dangling" because it isn't below you, and if you stow it properly, it shouldn't be moving around a whole lot.

Not mentioned yet, you should practice, as much as possible. If you’re unable to find a good mentor then watch GUE/UTD/DIR videos on deploying an smb and practice in a pool. Drifting away in Cozumel is no time for your first deployment.

new divers buy bpw's all the time....

@Dogbowl if diving without a pocket, it's the best place to put it. It isn't technically "dangling" because it isn't below you, and if you stow it properly, it shouldn't be moving around a whole lot.

I see, okay. Thanks!

Not mentioned yet, you should practice, as much as possible. If you’re unable to find a good mentor then watch GUE/UTD/DIR videos on deploying an smb and practice in a pool. Drifting away in Cozumel is no time for your first deployment.

Got it! Great tip!

Back
Top Bottom