Where do I put my (D)SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pre-rig mine to a small reel and usually clip it to my right side waist D-ring.

If I'm diving in a drysuit (which has thigh pockets), and I don't expect to use it, I'll put the whole reel/SMB rig in my right thigh pocket.

I don't like it as much on my butt D-ring as it can get in the way when I'm sitting down on my bench after a dive. And I don't like needing to move it around at the start/end of a dive. I clip it to my waist belt when I assemble my rig, before I ever gear up. Then it just stays there until I'm done diving for the day. I do very little drift diving, so I rarely deploy my SMB (other than practice in the local pool or quarry, where I deploy it often).

Rigged with a spool, the package secured with bungee and then stuffed into my right DS pocket, clipped to one of the bungee loops inside the pocket.

maybe consider taking another class - one that happens to include smb deploy in it. Good classes are challenging, informative, logical, fun and don't leave you feeling like it was all a bunch of fluff and you got ripped off. The ones I believe you would enjoy from UTD are:

Essentials of Rec Essentials of Rec Back Mount · UTD Scuba Diving
or
Rec 2 Recreational 2 - Advanced · UTD Scuba Diving

Both include smb deploy, where to put it, and other great skills you are unlikely to get anywhere else. Here is a link to your closest instructor. Feel free to hit him or me up with any questions you might have about it

Profile of Todd Murray · UTD Scuba Diving

cheers

Sorry to sound like a noob (cause I am one! :wink:), but where do you put your (D)SMB? In a pocket? Or clipped to a d-ring?

I'm slowly adding to my kit and would like to add a (D)SMB because I've been reading about currents in Coz and how divers can surface without their DMs...with hundreds of boats in the water...and imagining my head being sliced off by the motors...sorry I'm kinda scared!

Which brings me to how does one deploy one? I was never taught how and tried to do it once but got all tangled up in the string and lost a fin as a result. Sorry, I'm so embarrassed but I'd like to learn how. :idk:

I see DMs do it all the time with such grace and ease...

Just to join in your embarrassing admission, I am a "seasoned" diver of 14 years, 120+ dives, and have real trouble deploying a DSMB.

I never had occasion to use one for ~13 years, but similar to you I had a trip this past December to Cancun/Playa del Carmen drift dives. Tried practicing several times in NoCal waters - I still have yet to deploy successfully locally and my last attempt had me tangled in line as well -- it was so tangled in my fin buckles I had to cut the line back on shore. I blame thick gloves for my troubles. I will eventually get it right here.

I did, however, successfully launch at depth in Cancun, on my first try.

My DSMB is pretty big - 5-6' long and lots of girth, so it + spool wouldn't fit in a BC pocket. Luckily it came with its own pouch, which I clip to a D-ring on my lower hip. I don't have a tail D-ring, but that also seems like a good location.

OMG thank you very much @Chavodel8en for sharing! I’m feeling so much better knowing I’m not the only one who hasn’t mastered deploying a dsmb!

20171016_210228-600x800.jpg
20171016_210252-600x800.jpg
here are pics of mine stored and ready to unravel. Bungee keeps it all together nice

Hold reel in left hand with thumb ready to press lock

Hold dsmb and octo in right hand.

Give it a good squirt of air

Leave it start to rise and just start to pull your right arm up then release lock.

Let it sail up the the surface in style

To keep the line from getting tangled up, you would need a spool. I added a 1/4” dia. x4” long PVC pipe as a compact spool that can be slipped into the original pouch so I can put the whole thing in my BCD pocket. When you launch the DSMB, hold on to the spool while you are filling up the SMB with air. Then slowly unscrolling the spool while keeping the line under tension by the rising SMB.

When 15-18 ft depth reached, then you just hang on the spool stick for 3 minutes for your safety stop, before scrolling the line slowly back at your proper ascent rate. So, no tangle line to worry about.

BFB46614-3003-483A-A217-FDCACE869B9B.jpeg
5CCFB618-307A-4468-B06E-453B3732D7AF.jpeg

Last edited:
To keep the line from getting tangled up, you would need a spool. I added a 1/4” dia. x4” long PVC pipe as a compact spool that can be slipped into the original pouch so I can put the whole thing in my BCD pocket. When you launch the DSMB, hold on to the spool while you are filling up the SMB with air. Then slowly unscrolling the spool while keeping the line under tension by the rising SMB.

That does not seem like much line on that spool? How would you do a 25m deep drift dive with that?

Back
Top Bottom