Where do I start? Need help planning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am backing through Thailand for 2 months starting Jan 8th. I will be arriving in Bangkok and plan to spend 3-4 days exploring. After that i have no plans. I want to do some diving, ok a lot of diving, but i don't know where to start? I am 26, single, and traveling alone so i also want to have some fun too.

Should i just fly down to Phunket and work my way from there? or is there a way to work my way down from Bangkok? Also i have never done a live-aboard, is that the only option? As spending a few days on a boat by myself might get really boring? anyone have any experiences? I am open to any ideas, Also i am not rich so budget options are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for take the time to read my post.

Did 3 months in S-E Asia last year. I did my OW cert on Ko Tao, the whole island is pretty much about diving (there's like 42 dive shops on it). People seem to complain a lot about the diving there, but I really liked it (but it's true to most abundant form of aquatic life around the island is scuba diver :wink: ). Good place to do your AOW / Nitrox course too if you feel like it. You can also do fun dives from there. Did my cert with Big Blue Diving, good instructors, no problems with the gear, nice boats with food and water between dives, good BBQ at night. If you can hop on a trip to Sail Rock from there I'd recommend it, it was really nice (liked the chimney entry a lot).

I also dived on Ko Phi Phi which was also great (booked fun dives from various dive shops, depending on who was going where since I didn't want to go to Bida Nok / Palong Bay 10 times). The King Cruiser wreck is worth it.

The advantage of going on day trips on boats is that you're back on shore after the dives and can do something else for the rest of day/night. Although if you can, definitely go on a live aboard to the Similian Islands, I spoke to people who did that and they highly recommended it, I couldn't fit it in my itinerary though (stayed rock climbing in Ton Sai too long), so I'll have to go back someday. About Ton Sai / Railey / Krabi. You can also do some diving from there, but the area is more oriented toward rock climbing.

I'm pretty sure Phuket isn't the cheapest place to stay in, although there are probably budget options available. And I skipped the place so I don't know the diving is there (I'm sure it's nice).

If you haven't already I would suggest booking a room in advance in Bangkok so that you don't have to search for a room when you get there (especially if you get there late at night), but then again plenty of people just show up there and find something. And when you get out of the airport, disregard everybody trying to get you into a taxi, continue walking and you'll see the official line of people waiting for a taxi where somebody will ask you where you want to go, give you the price and tell a local driver where you're going and how much he should charge you (this is all so you don't get ripped off). You'll of course get no explanation of what's happening (this is a fairly common thing, you'll get used to it) but it'll happen and it'll be ok ; )

I've found people and other travelers to be very friendly, so don't hesitate to start conversations and get to know people.

In general: the best diving you will find on the West Coast. The Gulf islands are well known for diving, mainly because of the great number of open water courses conducted in Koh Tao.

On the West Coast you can do trips from a lot of places. From Khao Lak daytrips and liveaboards to the Similans, from Phuket daytrips and liveaboards to the Similans, liveaboards to Hin Daeng/Muang plus daytrips to other destinations like the Racha Islands, Shark Point area, Phi Phi area, from Ao Nang daytrips to the Phi Phi area, Shark Point area and Hin Daeng/Muang, from Phi Phi daytrips to the Phi Phi area, Shark Point area and Hin Daeng/Muang, from Koh Lanta daytrips to the Phi Phi area and Hin Daeng/Muang. But there are more sites and more places to dive from.

Thank you for all the replies.

ok, so think going from bangkok to Phuket would be a good idea? or is there somewhere else i should stop on the way?

And if Phunket what is a good/fun place to stay?

If you have the time Pattaya is worth checking out. It is an experience for sure in and out of the water! The Hardeep IMO is not something that should be missed if your in the area. How cool to experience the different types of diving Thailand has to offer.

Arizona

And if Phuket what is a good/fun place to stay?

I highly recommend the Kata Beach/Karon Beach area. It has clean and gorgeous beaches, shore diving and snorkeling possibilities, plenty of both budget and high end resorts/guesthouses, many dive shops, a good variety of restaurants and nightlife plus it's not far from Patong Beach.

:D

If you're coming down by bus, then come direct to Krabi from Bangkok. We'll pick you up from the bus station, give us an idea on accommodation price and we'll sort that too. Then if you fancy the liveaboard option, we can transfer you over to Khao Lak for our service there.

Hi Oren,

All you questions can be solved on this site: xtreme gap lots of information on doing your open water up to instructor in Koh Tao.

[
Your best option is probably doing your Divemaster as you will have unlimited diving (up to 4 dives a day and one night dive if you want) plus you are sure to meet loads of people there.

this involves completing your open water, advanced, rescue diver and EFR course before completing your Divemaster. All accomodation included at the dive school for up to 12 weeks.

Feel free to prviate message me if you need more information.

If you like diving avoid Pattaya at all costs. the diving (i am being polite now) is average at best. the shops are grossly overpriced and the service provided by them is usually crap.

Back
Top Bottom