Where do people go for parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So this is my first foray into parts for a rebreather, so bear with me. In my pre-CC life, before I discovered online retailers like DGX, getting things through my LDS was a pain. Never could I have things shipped directly to my house, but I had to go to the shop. And yes, this is a big deal living in Seattle. DGX has been awesome for my OC needs.

I am well aware that I can get a distributor to order for me, and if they are not local, they will ship to my house. However there is the aspect of time. Now I have no past experience with getting parts from Hollis, so they may be super expedient. Possibly not.

I asked this question to get a general idea about options. And I'm quite happy I did ask despite the disapproval of some folks, as @Vicko chimed in with a possibility of replacing a plastic part with a metal one. It may not pan out in the end, but it something I will pursue in the background. It will certainly not be expedient, but it will be robust if it works.
Subgravity makes and sells many rebreather parts that will fit your unit. They offered BMCL for that unit for years before Hollis started selling them. There is a good chance they will have an aftermarket fitment for what you need.

Subgravity makes and sells many rebreather parts that will fit your unit. They offered BMCL for that unit for years before Hollis started selling them. There is a good chance they will have an aftermarket fitment for what you need.
Thanks! I have a few products from Subgravity that I'm quite pleased with. I'll check them out.

I can promise you that the OP does. The issue is with all Huish products, you can't just call them up and get parts. You have to go through dealers, the dealers have to be Prism 2 dealers not just any random Huish dealer and even then most of the dealers will probably tell you that they can't/won't sell you the parts you need and that you have to bring it in for service. Most other rebreather manufacturers are not like that, but it's a thing with that unit in particular.
Thanks for this info. I've run into no less than 5 Prism divers over the past month here in the Midwest and was considering adding it to my short list. @wetb4igetinthewater's point about it not always being convenient to get to a dive shop applies here in Chicago as well. Prism 2 is off the list before even making it on.

In the US, none.
If you take the service course for the unit you can buy direct, but dealers aren't restricted from selling you parts like with the Prism2.

@wetb4igetinthewater you will find that nothing with Hollis customer service and support is fast, never has been and has only gotten worse since the Huish acquisition.

@0utrageousfun I would certainly not consider the Prism 2

They won't ship to US, there is a distributorship. You could have somebody buy it for you and ship it, but you could also just buy a unit that supports the diver. There are other things I don't care for on the poseidon CCR, but that is one example.

I've heard that poseidon customer service in the US is bad but this is something else, why shut of an entire market? (No need to answer, not a real question)

Sorry for going of topic.

I think my brain just misfired - opened rebreather section and read "Where do people go for farts?". Like huh ? What website is this?
Took me a while to realize it said parts...but now i cannot get it out of my head.

My Kiss unit is on order, but depending on what I need I can either contact Kiss directly or go through my instructor’s shop two hours away as they do have some parts (I often dive in the area so picking something up wouldn’t be too big of a deal).

Back
Top Bottom