Where do you folks have your Regs serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an active OC technical diver, I service my own regulators, own my own compressor (a K14), and have my own Haskel pump (an O2-clean version of the AG-30). In short, there is a full trimix and nitrox blending station in my garage. I also do my own visual inspections. It's all more than paid for itself in savings compared to the LDS, just on trimix fills alone (which locally run $250 or more depending on He content, per fill). Consider that I can get an entire T bottle of He for less than it costs for *one* local trimix fill.

This is not for everyone. The opportunity cost is steep. I have the compressor, three filter towers, four digital pressure gauges, Parker ST quick disconnects, two Magnehlic gauges, a bunch of specialized tools, an ultrasonic cleaner, a tank tumbler, annual expenses for compressor and filter maintenance, and so on. None of this automatically confers the skills to use them well. I have paid for those skills, too, in training. None of it makes sure you have the discipline to do the right things, either. But for me and the kind of diving I have been doing over the past several years, it works well and has more than paid me back at the purchase price. When I eventually bail out and sell it will all be profit (and I hope that's not any time soon).

Also, there is nobody else to yell at. If something does not work, it is *my* fault.

That said, most recreational divers would lose money on most aspects of this investment. A larger percentage would be far better served by someone who services a lot more regulators a year than I am likely to service (seven this year), who does not compromise on service quality, and so on.

That, too, said most parts kits are vastly overpriced from the manufacturers. Were they better priced, an LDS would have a better chance to provide quality services at reasonable prices. Some O-rings and a sintered filter for 30+ dollars is, frankly, ridiculous for a standard first stage kit, as are a few O-rings, an exhaust valve, and a plastic seat for a second stage. It's no wonder John Allen (Northeast Scuba Supply) has no trouble making money by making up his own kits to sell--at a profit, I'm quite certain, as I'm pretty sure John is not big into selling below cost and trying to make it up in volume.

This is clearly a specialized market where everyone from the manufacturers up is capitalizing on the mystique of "life support equipment" to charge all the traffic will bear. At very active levels of the sport it just does not surprise me very much that active divers and dive clubs buy fill stations or that people figure out how to do their own service. I spent much less this year--an exceptionally expensive one for me--to get 12 tanks hydroed, O2 cleaned, their valves rebuilt, VIPed, and servicing seven regulators than the service on the 12 tanks and valves would have cost alone locally at an LDS. Far less, in fact.

At less active levels, my suggestion would be to find a competent shop, local or not, get your stuff there, and pay the bill. Remember that the person using this stuff is someone you care about! Don't shortchange yourself on service and inspections. And if you do plunge into doing your own stuff, take the time and trouble to learn how to do it right.

Just my two (well, maybe four) cents.

If I could click on more than a like button I wouldn't have to make this post. Here is my manual respect button, love button and I wanna be like you button. I'm on my way. Stay in touch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom