Where do you folks have your Regs serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YukonJack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just used my local dive shop and for annual service of the primary, secondary, and the Air2 reg (and a BC check) I paid like $250. Not sure if that is over the top or not, and I like to support local, but don't want to get gouged while supporting local. Is online servicing a thing that folks like? I would like to learn to service my own stuff, but likely won't have the time to take the necessary courses.

Just curious.

Greg

Hi, @YukonJack. I get mine serviced at local LDS. To give you an idea on cost, each stage of the reg (first/second) or octopus or the BC with octo here runs about $30-$35 each. That doesn't include parts so if you don't have a parts for life program, that will add up for each stage annually. I have this so it saves a chunk but my schedule is every other year test and service. This year, I tested (for $30) and it passed so I don't have to service it until next year - in which case it will be around $100 for the first stage, second stage, and second stage Octo. If I wanted my BC done, it's another $30-35 on top of that but I don't bring mine in annually. I just make sure that it holds a full bladder over a long period of time without leaking.

I hope this helps!

holy hell, that's ridiculous!

my regs are usually serviced in my living room, and on occasion in my kitchen.

If you are sending it out, my recommendation is air tech scuba services in raleigh, NC. They are a dedicated scuba repair facility, that is what they do, that is all they do.

Servicing on those three would be something like $150 or so. BC check should realistically be free, but you can do that at home with a spray bottle of simple green or a bit of dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle. All divers should have something like this to spray all pressurized connections prior to diving anyway.

You can also do the super easy bc check and just inflate it and let it sit. If it stays inflated for a few hours, it's fine.

If your regs are scubapro, which Air2 indicates, then you will not be able to learn to service them yourself due to the asinine policies of the scuba industry

So what is the annual check? I've not heard that. All I've heard is that you have to get them serviced every year.

So what is the annual check? I've not heard that. All I've heard is that you have to get them serviced every year.

Every manufacturer is different. I have Aqua Lung regs so the first year after you purchase, they do a check, and then if it passes, you don't service and just do the service (no matter what) the next year to keep the parts for life program. It alternates. I bought in 2016. This year, I had a check. So when 2018 comes around and I service, in 2019, it will be a check.

As for what the check is...I don't know the specific details. Maybe cracking pressure? Condition of hoses and what it's like internally and if those parts need replacement based on care, use, etc.? Sorry!

big difference in recommended and required. Most technical divers service regs when they ask for them, or about 5 years *which is longer than most people are active divers*. Leaking, or IP creep are basically the two things that will cause them to get serviced

@outofofficebrb the annual checks are basically IP, leak, and cracking effort checks. Takes all of 10 minutes. Connect reg to high pressure, plug IP gauge into the inflator hose, put the magnehelic on the mouthpiece and take a few breaths. Watch IP gauge while breathing, and let it sit for 10 minutes to make sure it doesn't creep. Most shops will only leave it on for a minute or two which is annoying.

big difference in recommended and required. Most technical divers service regs when they ask for them, or about 5 years *which is longer than most people are active divers*. Leaking, or IP creep are basically the two things that will cause them to get serviced

@outofofficebrb the annual checks are basically IP, leak, and cracking effort checks. Takes all of 10 minutes. Connect reg to high pressure, plug IP gauge into the inflator hose, put the magnehelic on the mouthpiece and take a few breaths. Watch IP gauge while breathing, and let it sit for 10 minutes to make sure it doesn't creep. Most shops will only leave it on for a minute or two which is annoying.

Thank you for sharing! Now I know exactly what I am paying for. :)

DRIS, but they're my LDS. :)

People do send their regs off for service...

You're taught in your OW to service your gear yearly... and that it should be done by a qualified technician. That's good advice, but there's nothing stopping you from becoming a qualified technician. I teach a class for Hog and Deep 6 regs.

If you take your regs to a technician, you should consider doing the following:
  • Present a list of issues
    • Leaks
    • Noises
    • Time since last service
    • How it breathes
    • What you expect out of your service
  • Agree on a price up front!
    • What you'll get
      • Make sure it includes the o-rings for the SPG
    • Phone numbers if there's an unforeseen problem.
    • Maximum price
    • Trade in value
  • Agree on a time frame.
  • Ask for the technician's qualifications.
  • ASK FOR YOUR PARTS BACK!!!
  • When you pick your reg, ask them to put it on a tank.
    • Ask to see the IP (Intermediate Pressure)
    • It should be between 130 and 150 for most regs.
    • It shouldn't creep up
    • It should fall a bit when you breathe on your reg.
  • Dive your reg BEFORE you go on a big trip.
    • A pool is just fine.
    • Check for noises and leaks
$250 seems a bit high. Did you know that price when you dropped it off?

Hey, you look familiar to me! Just checking-- were you down in Santa Barbara last fall diving with Truth Aquatics out at Santa Cruz island one weekend? Your profile looks very similar to someone I met.

You're taught in your OW to service your gear yearly... and that it should be done by a qualified technician. That's good advice, but there's nothing stopping you from becoming a qualified technician. I teach a class for Hog and Deep 6 regs.

If you take your regs to a technician, you should consider doing the following:
  • Present a list of issues
    • Leaks
    • Noises
    • Time since last service
    • How it breathes
  • Agree on a price up front!
    • What you'll get
    • Phone numbers if there's an unforeseen problem.
    • Maximum price
    • Trade in value
  • Agree on a time frame.
  • Ask for the technician's qualifications.
  • ASK FOR YOUR PARTS BACK!!!
  • When you pick your reg, ask them to put it on a tank.
    • Ask to see the IP (Intermediate Pressure)
    • It should be between 130 and 150 for most regs.
    • It shouldn't creep up
    • It should fall a bit when you breathe on your reg.
  • Dive your reg BEFORE you go on a big trip.
    • A pool is just fine.
    • Check for noises and leaks

Great post! What kind of noises are concerning? My reg has a bit of a whistle (the slightest) but I don't feel a diff? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom