Where do you folks have your Regs serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't know what the price was going to be when I dropped it.
Treat this like an auto repair. Ask for a written estimate and hold them to it. Now, at the end of the repair, you've lost some trust in them. That's not good. If I can't fully trust the technician, I'm going to find another technician or I'm going to learn to do it myself.

Many years ago, I was given an old Cousteau and Micra combo. That was cool, was that's what I was already diving. I dutifully brought it in for service and when I picked it up, they charged me just under $200. Say wha??????????? I wasn't that happy, but I paid the bill and went to go dive it. I was a newly minted DM and was helping with an OW class for the first time. There I was about 60 ft down, and I am getting a lot of water in with each breath. If I hit the purge as I breathe, I can get a dry breath, so I switched to my secondary reg, which was a Duoaire (Inflator & reg combo). I figured out pretty quickly that I didn't like the Duoaire, and the students were giving me weird looks. :D On the service, it was obvious that the diaphragm was deformed. I couldn't get it to stretch out and it looked like a solvent had been used on it. When I got home, I called the shop and ordered the part. It was in two days later, and when I went to pick it up, the owner asked where my reg was. As we talked, it became obvious that he knew the diaphragm was not right. Then he told me that the reason he didn't change it was because he wanted to keep the service under $200. Really? REALLY!!! REALLY??? I was pissed and it was then that I decided I would never let another person touch my regs. And, I haven't.

I have the shop here do it. Somewhere around $150 Canadian, depending on what they have to do. Maybe a little less.

Yeah, my AquaLung Legend LX Supreme reg honks like a goose that's been stepped on when dry. Fine underwater.

I have the Legend LX too and that happens as well. Thanks to you, I am going to have a funny image of a goose whenever that happens now! :) Thanks for the giggles.

So what is the annual check? I've not heard that. All I've heard is that you have to get them serviced every year.
lots of good advice above, but it may make sense to distinguish between inspection, cleaning and servicing.

I claim every diver should learn to inspect their own regs. This may include some trivial diassembly and reassembly, but no real tear down or re-adjustments required. The cover on my sherwood second stages hand screw off. The piston cover on my first stage generally requires a jar grip to open. If all is clean and the IP is good then you are done. Not clean or IP is screwy then you need servicing.

If we have been diving in silt outs (thank you cluster divers) then there will sometimes be some sand in the second stage that did not get fully cleaned out in the rinse tank. Cleaning is simple. tooth brush and water, being careful to not press the lever and open the valve. Sometimes there is a little gunk present. Tooth brush works on that as well.

if you inspect and clean regularly, then you will likey find that servicing is only needed after several hundred or more dives.

Servicing is a whole different level, but generally only involves more thorough ultrasonic cleaning and a few parts swaps (orings and maybe seats if required).

I do all this work in my bathroom.

Hi there all,
Just to let you all know I am dealing just with scuba diving O-rings and recently with O-rings for diving computers. Behind my brand name (Scubagaskets) there is a specialized company on the area of seals called Europeseals Holland .I have all sorts of NBR soft ,NBR hard, EPDM, Nitrox Viton black, Polyurethane , and Green Viton for pure oxygen O-rings in a huge range of sizes That are used in scuba diving applications and diving computers . I offer best quality at the best price and free delivery world wide
You can check all my products at www.scubagaskets.com
Let me know what you think
regards
Nicolas

Reactions: mdb
I claim every diver should learn to inspect their own regs.
The more you learn about your regs, the better off you'll be. I cringe at some of the stuff I hear about regs when we are out on the water.

Let's use @tbone1004 's example of AirTech:

$35/stage is listed on their page as the labor rate. Parts (if no warranty) are, choosing a middle of the road SWAG, another $25/stage (can be more, can be less). BC "service" is listed on their page (don't remember price). There are a couple other listed prices there, including just a "check". My Poseidons just went there as I am not familiar enough with them to do the servicing/tuning (yet).

That should give you an idea of a full tear down, clean, and assemble/tune.

I feel your LDS may have been a little rough on you for pricing, but that is for you to decide (FWW - I've been treated worse, ONCE)..... For the same reason, I do the service on most of my equipment.

YMMV

It should be pointed out that we don't know what was replaced. Replacing hoses can add up quickly.

BTW, my biggest pet peeve is to have someone on the dive with a freshly serviced set of regs and you see champagne bubbles coming from the SPG. Two tiny o-rings that should be replaced with every reg service. They don't come in any kit, so a few shops just skip them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom