Where do you have your compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently purchased a VT3 dive computer (which I love by the way) that I have wrist mounted on my left wrist but I keep my analog gauges clipped onto a D ring as a backup. When I'm interested in following a course I un-clip my gauge console and hold it out in a way that I can see the heading through the window. I don't like allowing my gauges to dangle yet it gets annoying clipping and unclipping the gauges throughout the dive. Can anyone recommend a simple setup? My thought was to buy a wrist strap like this. If I went that route, any thoughts on putting it on the same arm as the dive computer vs. the other arm?

I wear my computer on my right wrist, that way I can monitor my depth as I'm adding or dumping air during my ascent/descent.

I wear my compass mounted on my left wrist (with a bungee set-up, rather than straps....but similar idea). Personally, I do not like console gauges as they are usually in the way (dangling on the ground), but not conveniently placed so I can see them exactly when I want to.

I use the bungee mount on the left wrist as well.

I wear a VR3 on my left arm and my compass (with bungee straps) on my right arm, next to my Tec2G. Works for me. I much prefer the bungee over a standard "watch-band" type strap.

Are the bungee straps something you purchased or put together yourself? Any links for how that setup works?

I also have my compass bungee mounted to my left wrist. I have a suunto sk-7.

To make the bungee system, I:

1) took the wrist strap off the compass;
2) threaded bungee shock cord through the gap where the wrist strap had been;
3) made sure the bungee was long enough to fit around my wrist;
4) tied a knot in each end of the bungee;
5) held the bungee so it formed a loop with the two knots just overlapping;
6) then used a zip tie to hold the two knots together.

I did this twice, so I have two bungee loops around my wrist. This helps the compass sit better, and provides redundancy in case one loop breaks.

Are the bungee straps something you purchased or put together yourself? Any links for how that setup works?

Basically we replace the standard "rubber watchband" type strap which often comes with a wrist mount compass with pieces of narrow (1/4" or so) diameter bungy which you can pick-up Home Depot, Lowes, etc. off the spool by the foot.

My Suunto had a rubber boot wrist mount...I pulled the strap out and inserted two independently tied loops of cord underneath. This added a back-up...if one of the loops was cut, the second loop would hold it on.

My computer had a different boot with two "watch pins" holding the strap in place...if I was to lose one pin, the watch would fall away. Because I could't fit the bungy cord underneath the pins, I used a thin strip of tubular webbing underneath both pins, I then affixed the bungy cord loops to the webbing. Again creating a redundancy whereas if I lost either pin, the computer would still be held on by the other.

The advantage of bungy is that as your suit compresses at depth or your drysuit squeezes down, your compass and computer stay tight.

I actually position both items above my wrists more in the middle of my forearms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom