Where in Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
Some non-diving friends wants to go to Costa Rica. They are more into snorkel and other touristy stuff. What's a nice place to go that has decent diving for me plus will accommodate regular "tourists"?

Depends on what kind of environment you are looking for. If you want a resort, there are a few in the Papagayo Gulf (playa de cocos) and there is some good diving there. Another good area would be Tamarindo. More to do for the non-divers (great surf spot) but you would have to drive a bit to dive. Costa Rica is not as much of a beachy, snorkely type place as it is a eco-tourism spot. If I were you I would spend a couple days at the coast, then head inland. If you visit Playas del Coco you can take a 3hr drive into the Arenal or Monteverde area and there is a ton of stuff to do there.

Um, I beg to differ.....

Costa Rica has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Most are what we would consider uncrowded and by law all are accessible to the public. A lot of posters here have not ventured outside the Guanacaste peninsula so good information is somewhat limited when it comes to other areas of the country.

We are located in Quepos/ Manuel Antoino on the Central Pacific coast, adjacent to the Manuel Antonio National Park. There is a stunning variety of lodging, dining and tour activity here, including some outstanding diving. The best part is that everything is fairly centralized. Most tours are not only less than an hour away but also pick up and drop off at your hotel for free.

Here are some websites to check out for more information.

Costa Rica Scuba Diving with Oceans Unlimited Costa Rica

Welcome to Costa Rica Microsites

Welcome to Manuel Antonio Group Website! Costa Rica - Home

Easy there chief, I've been all over the country. I was trying to give an idea of where the centralized diving and tourist attractions are for the OP. I didn't mean to imply that there aren't beaches in CR, but for the first time visitor it would be a shame to stick to the shore and miss the interior. No need to get upset.

Thanks for all the info. Personally I don't care too much for the jungle type stuff on this as I only have a week and have kids who are looking for beach. So I'll do the beach first with the kids and then the jungle stuff another time.

Easy there chief, I've been all over the country. I was trying to give an idea of where the centralized diving and tourist attractions are for the OP. I didn't mean to imply that there aren't beaches in CR, but for the first time visitor it would be a shame to stick to the shore and miss the interior. No need to get upset.

No offense meant, and none taken. It's just that your post appeared to have geographic limits when it came to the rest of the country. MA is the most visited beach area in the country, and the diving is at least comparable to Guanacaste in season. Next time you find yourself in the neighborhood stop in and we would be glad to show you.

BTW- I'm neither native American or a navy veteran.

Back
Top Bottom