where in Victoria ? anyone to buddy up on 23 august

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calgarydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone

I started just diving last year and I love it.
Presently I finished AOW
drysuit
nitrox
deep

and never dove outside mountain lakes in alberta.

thanks to google I found this forum and looks like is perfect place to be an active user.

I'm planning to dive in Victoria on 23 08 or 20,21 08 in Vancouver . Finally to see what is diving about. :)

I would really apreciate if you could give some advice Please ?

a) - where to dive - I hear Ogden Point is nice to dive ?

b) - where is the best place to rent dry suit ( do I need one ?)
ogden shop does not rent any dry suits.

c) - I would love to buddy up with kind diver from this area ?

Thank You again for your time and advice.

ps. this is my first post

Jarek B

calgarydiver:
Hello everyone

I started just diving last year and I love it.
Presently I finished AOW
drysuit
nitrox
deep

and never dove outside mountain lakes in alberta.

thanks to google I found this forum and looks like is perfect place to be an active user.

I'm planning to dive in Victoria on 23 08 or 20,21 08 in Vancouver . Finally to see what is diving about. :)

I would really apreciate if you could give some advice Please ?

a) - where to dive - I hear Ogden Point is nice to dive ?

b) - where is the best place to rent dry suit ( do I need one ?)
ogden shop does not rent any dry suits.

c) - I would love to buddy up with kind diver from this area ?

Thank You again for your time and advice.

ps. this is my first post

Jarek B

Hi Jarek

Welcome to the SB

Just to answer some of your question

a) Ogden Pt is a nice dive, good place to start for your first Salt water dive.

For more site around Victoria check here: http://victoriadiving.awardspace.com/intro.html

b) Ogden PT rent some DS, if you have a 7mm wet suit you should be OK.

c) Sorry I will be out of town during that time, but I'm sure you will find other that will take you around.

Cheers

Al

Hello Al

thank you for answer.

a) I have seen this website before posting and I hope I will do some diving there and see some live :wink:

b) perfect good to know

c) appreciate your willingness I hope too to find buddy to explore .

Thank You again for help

Jarek B

Good news is your heading to the shore diving capital of Canada. Bad news is I can't come with you :(

Other then Ogden point there are a lot of good dives in Victoria, most of which are covered on the page hyperlimits linked you to. That said, many are current dependent, so unless you're hooking up with someone experienced in the level you need to be quite selective about which dives you do - at least until you get a handle on the whole current thing.

Some great options that are relatively current-free, but still fantastic dives, are:

1) Ogden Point
2) McKenzie Bight (Saanich area, 20min north of Victoria)
3) Willis Point (Saanich)
4) Spring Bay
5) Saxe Point (very shallow, good for a warm-up dive, stick to the wall on the left-side of the bay).

Once you get better at current dives ten-mile point is a must. But be careful - the current gets pretty crazy there, and entry is a *****.

More information on these sites can also be found at www.shordiving.com

Also, if you have the time/$$$ try to fit in a few boat dives - they're worth every penny. The HMCS McKenzie, and the race rocks, are my personal favorites.

Bryan

Bryan

I want to go easy on these first salt water dives ( no currents )

At this point looks like I have to find only buddy willing to dive.

23 august in victoria or
20 , 21 august in Vancover area

I bookmarked all your info ( thank You) I think I will need seperate diving trip for couple days just to dive in your city :)

Your info is appreciated.

Guys anyone wants to dive ?

calgarydiver:
Bryan

I want to go easy on these first salt water dives ( no currents )
That's best. Its easy to bite off too much at once, especially when you start.

My advice (other may disagree) would be to use saxe point as your first dive. The bay parts got a nice sandy middle good for making sure your weighting, etc, are good. Once you're all squared away you can follow the shallow wall out towards the Juan de Fuca straight (yes, it is spelled wrong) - there's a lit of little critters along that wall.

calgarydiver:
I think I will need seperate diving trip for couple days just to dive in your city :)
I've been doing the Calgary -> Victoria drive/dive trip for about 7 years straight now, and I'm still not done trying all the sites I want to hit. Ideally I'd move there, but the nature of my work pretty much prevents that :doctor:.

Instead I'm moving to Toronto:fruit:. Now I'm going to have to fly :(

Bryan

thank you guys for your posts

At this moment I'm getting worried if I will dive in Victoria.

I have been looking to find dive buddy and still no luck with it.

Is it so difficult to find one ?

- where else I should look for ? Any advice would be very appreciated

Unfortunately, it looks like you will be in Victoria mid-week, which limits my availability (I work out of town) and probably a few others' as well. The only suggestion I have for you is to call/email one of the dive shops and see if they know of anyone. There are guided dives Sat at Frank Whites Dive Shop or Sun at Great Ocean Adventures if you could see yourself hanging around. I'm not sure if they offer them in the summer, but some of the shops do night dives as well.

Check out the Edge Diving Centre in North Vancouver for weeknight dives. From what I can tell from their facebook page, and their website, they do quite a lot of evening dives.

Good luck.

calgarydiver:
thank you guys for your posts

At this moment I'm getting worried if I will dive in Victoria.

I have been looking to find dive buddy and still no luck with it.

Is it so difficult to find one ?

- where else I should look for ? Any advice would be very appreciated

Find out and get a hold of the dive shops in the area and find out if anyone is diving or when they have their shop dives and get together with them if your scedule will work.

When I fisrt started diving, this is what I did. Then as my buddy list grew I no longer have to rely on them.

Hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom