Where is the good diving in Texas this time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the water plant, you can drop down into the valley to the east and find an old hard surfaced roadway running north-south and a pretty serious bridge over the old creek. That roadway actually swings around to the west and passes a couple hundred feet south of the water plant. It is a good exercise in compass navigation - but it is also pretty boring. Last time I tried it, vis was so bad that my light disappeared in the silted bottom before I realized it was even the bottom.

I do my bottle collecting in the San Marcos.

Hmmmm, I'm gonna have to try that route out next time i'm at Stillhouse!

San Marcos, huh? I'm kinda new to the old bottle thing, so i'll have to check that out! One of my favorites was found in Cleburne State Park, but that was mostly the story behind it than the bottle.

My buddy and I would like to plan a short dive trip between thurs-sun since we have some time off for the holiday. He is a brand new diver, just certifified within the month and I took my Open Water last year and only have about 35 dives due to deployment. Took my Advanced and Nitrox classes back in September. What do you guys recommend as a good dive within our skill level? Willing to drive 3-4 hours, and have our own equipment.

I'm used to diving off the coast of Palm Beach, FL with 150ft+ vis and the beautiful scenery of the ocean so it's hard finding anything around here to even remotely compare to that. :(

15-20ft vis is the best I've gotten, at 10-15ft in Comal River. It's almost depressing. Been to Stillhouse Hollow Dam and Belton Lake as well and wasn't very impressed at all.

Thanks guys!
Chris

Hi Chris,

I guess I would need to know what "Good Dive" means to you for sure.

Last couple times out with Lake Travis Scuba on Lake Travis to really good viz spots, the visibility was about 5 to 6 feet at best. I was considering it a mud hole if the Lake is turning this last month. I hope that is all it is.

Since it has been 2 weeks since I have been out diving, I am feeling the need this next weekend to get WET.

I consider Lake Travis to be a aquatic mecca of sorts, since it is so close to Austin and has about everything you could look for in Central Texas Swamp diving. I would say a 10 foot visibility dive day is spectacular for me personally.

When not in Travis I choose to go Science Diving at Aquarena for that Florida springs feel in San Marcos.

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom