Where is your favorite Kelp diving spot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fireted

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to compile a list of favorite spots to dive while the kelp is growing.

I have some good friends coming in from Australia to dive our waters for a few weeks this spring, and I want to show them a TRUE west coast Kelp dive.

Cheers

Anacapa, in the reserve. There's lots of big critters there because it's been a reserve for many years. Anacapa is the easternmost island of the Channel Islands. And at the Anchorage, there's a large cavern/tunnel.

You can reach there on a day boat.

Depending on which part of Australia they might not be that impressed. I have seen some awesome kelp beds in Victoria Aus.
Are you on the mainland or Island?

In spring in B.C., the kelp is just starting to grow. For that towering "cathedral" swim-through experience, I prefer late summer and early fall.

If anyone would know some of the best sites to go to...it would be this guy.

I'm in the Vancouver area, lower mainland bc

I don't dive in kelp too often, kelp is usually something I have to go through to get deeper:D
But I find the Breakwater quite a good kept dive. As Mark mention late summer early fall is the best time.

Al

a secret spot near Port McNeil. kelp bed is the size of a soccer field and infested with huge Black rockfish and giant kelp greenling. great place to find shellfish too. Freediver's dream.

Ogden Point breakwater is an excellent kelp forest. Don't know any in the Vancouver area.

Back
Top Bottom