Where to buy new AL tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcsoar4fun

Registered
Reaction score
I am about to buy some tanks. I don't plan on diving a drysuit for a while, if its that cold I will just stay home. :D I am looking at one or two AL 80 tanks. I haven't been seeing much on Craigslist, so I will probably just buy new. It sounds like a natural or brushed finish is the way to go, Catalina or Luxfer. Anything to look out for? Who is the best place online to buy from? I think the LDS is running about $325 for that kind of tank right now...

Indian Valley Scuba is offering 80 CF aluminum tanks right now at $149 each, complete with valve and VIP. Best part is they come with a FREE lifetime inspection program!

I would check with diver supply. I think both Luxfer and Catalina AL 80's are running $140 right now.

diver-supply "dot" com

Shipping to Oregon is about $30.

And if it isn't a big rush, I would stick with Craigslist. I just got two tanks in great shape for $25 each. The needed hydro and vis, but that's only about $30 each, so for $110 I got two great tanks.

$189 to $199 on that site for the 80's

Indian Valley Scuba:
Best part is they come with a FREE lifetime inspection program!
um, not so free if they have to be shipped. OP is in Texas.

So true, but at $149, still a steal! And an even better deal for anyone in the mid-Atlantic or Northeast area, of course, with the free inspections for life.

I am about to buy some tanks. I don't plan on diving a drysuit for a while, if its that cold I will just stay home. :D I am looking at one or two AL 80 tanks. I haven't been seeing much on Craigslist, so I will probably just buy new. It sounds like a natural or brushed finish is the way to go, Catalina or Luxfer. Anything to look out for? Who is the best place online to buy from? I think the LDS is running about $325 for that kind of tank right now...

just be careful of tanks on Craigslist that are the older 5361T Alloy.

because of SLC concerns, a LOT of dive shops won't fill them anymore. So it makes them harder to sell to an educated purchaser later on.

Based on your drysuit comment I wanted to mention that there's no real reason not to be diving single steel cylinders in a wetsuit. A pair of steel doubles can become a little too negative without redundant lift. Most steel cylinders will just let you drop your first 7 pounds of lead.

Any finish will be OK with good cleaning. The grain of brushed can promote some salt retention. Plain old naturals will age most gracefully.

$325 for an AL80?

Pete

$325 for an AL80 is what might be politely called "bold pricing." You can get a new steel tank for that, including shipping.

You live near the ocean, there are going to be lots of used tanks around. When buying a used AL80, the most important thing is to avoid tanks manufactured before 1990 or so. While there is no logical, physical reason to avoid older tanks, the unfortunate fact is that most dive shops will not fill them due to the scare associated with an older alloy that was used for some scuba tanks in the 1980s.

Try to pay less than $100 for a AL80 that's in current hydro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom