Where to dive in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
OK I'm in the situation where I have not got my next holiday booked - very sad and makes me somewhat twitchy.

I'm looking to head off last week of December and first week of January if I can get a flight (getting a flight out of Japan then is somewhat difficult and expensive, but that's another story....)

I would like to mix my diving with some asian culture but most of the books and sites I visit seem to recommend not travelling that time of year due to rains.....

Any of our resident experts able to quash that story and point me in the direction of some diving for that time of year?

Cheers
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

The travel time you're mentioning is the start of the high season here in Phuket. Not that far from Japan, the rains have finished and there is culture available as well.
The diving from the day boats is good, the diving from the live aboards is excellent.

For more information, just give me a mail: stevenvanleeuwarden@yahoo.com

How about the west coast of Thailand? You could do a liveaboard to the Similans or the Burma Banks, then spend some time somewhere on the mainland.

Or if you're feeling adventurous, the Andaman Islands (400nm northwest of Phuket, in the Andaman Sea -- they belong to India). I know little about them but have been told the diving is good.

Maldives, if you're feeling wealthy. Fair way to fly from Japan, though.

Zept

:D

agree that andaman sea will be your best choice...will be going Phuket, specifically Phi Phi Island this Dec.

Cheers! and have fun!

Good stuff!

It's not the distance from Japan that's the problem (except for the Maldives maybe) but the ability to get flights. The problem is Japan closes down three times a year (almost literally!) and everyone goes on holiday - first week of January is one of those times. All theairline seats are block booked by the travel companies and you don't get a look in as a private traveller until less that a month before hand - unless you have a good travel agent! Mine did me proud for Golden Week (first week of May) but even though I had paid for my holiday and started the flight search in October I did not have a confirmed flight until 11th April.....

Hopefully I'll get to Thailand in December - yes keen Snoopy so keep me posted.....

Jonathan

I understand that no one will be offering Andaman Island trips out of Thailand this season because of the extreme conditions being imposed by the local government at the moment (3 days to clear a boat in and another 3 out, requirement to use equipment hired through a local agent, etc).

Only sure fire way to dive them would be to fly to India and then fly to the Andaman Isles from there - but this would limit you to day boat sites though.

I wanted to go this season myself but sadly will have to put it off until it is more realizable.

I'm shocked, Jonathan, that you don't want to dive in Izu in January! LOL!

On a completely different note, our group went on a trip to Manazuru yesterday. While we were taking a group photo, a most annoying gaijin was making faces behind the guy with our camera. I thought of you LOL

Not guilty!

I was diving Izu this year in January..... I have holiday to use up so thought I would try and escape for a bit!

Back
Top Bottom