Where to dive in Indiana (central)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stryker

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am coming home to Indiana for the month of July before I transfer to the middle east. I want to know where in central indiana are some good areas to dive (trying to avoid going to lake michigan)....

Also what do most of you wear wetsuit wise in the summer? in California we wear 7mm all year round....

France Park in North Central Indiana on US Highway 24 , 4 miles west of Logansport in Cass County Indiana.
Hidden Paradise Campground in St. Paul, IN 1/2 Hour East of Hwy 465 Indianapolis, 1 Hour West From Cincinnati, Take Hwy 74 St. Paul Exit 123
Blue Springs Scuba Diving (website is *gone*) in Waldron, IN 317-398-2277 or 317-402-0504 (6157 S 600 E, Waldron, IN 46182-9779) (Google Satellite, Mapquest directions)

You can wear a 7mm in the summer (don't stay out of the water long in July). For the shallower quarries, that might be overkill, but not by much. If you go a bit further like Gilboa Quarry near Findlay, OH you'll get temps around 40F (5C) almost year-round.

I'm sure you'll get some additional sites from the Indiana locals. (I've only been to Blue Springs of those three. Maybe I'll get to the others this summer.)

-Rob

What part of IN are you wanting as I live just east of Indianapolis and will find it an honor to dive with someone serving our country. I know blue springs and france park very well.

I dove Hidden Paradise last August and was comfortable in my 2/1 shortie. I think you'd find 7mm overkill there.

Don’t worry, Stryker. There are the plenty of divers in the central Indiana. When you come home and want to dive, I am sure that you won’t miss anywhere and anything. Just shoot another post on July.

BTW, how is Hidden Paradise compared to Blue Springs?

I am going to be at BS today though.

very little to see at HP and viz sucks. Iwould much rather dive BS

hoosier:
Don’t worry, Stryker. There are the plenty of divers in the central Indiana. When you come home and want to dive, I am sure that you won’t miss anywhere and anything. Just shoot another post on July.

BTW, how is Hidden Paradise compared to Blue Springs?

I am going to be at BS today though.

Haigh quarry may be another option. A couple hour drive from Indy I think but well worth the trip. What ever you do take bug spray. If not the mosquito's will have you for lunch.
http://www.haighquarry.com/

Dive Training did a small article on Philips Quarry in muncie. Seems pretty cool. If you go to dtmag.com you can find a map full of links of local dive spots. It is very helpful.

Last weekend my wife and I took a walk around France park and I could clearly see the buss, several fish cribs, crappie rock and the pipe from up on the cliff. For those who have never been there it means the vis had to have been INCREDIBLE! I've been diving it for years and have seen some great vis but I've never seen so much of the bottom from shore...NOT EVER.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom