Where to dive in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP, if you and your husband also plan to check out some non-diving sites, consider the Borobudur Temple near Yogyakarta.

Scorpiofish's idea of doing two back to back cruises sounds amazing and the trip from Raja to Ambon then Ambon to Komodo would be unbelievable! You really would cover pretty much the best that Indo has to offer. I've done RA and it blew me away. The only problem is that after 10 days on a boat I was ready to be back on land. RA and Komodo are the two PRIMO places to visit.

If I had a month to explore Indo I would start in Ambon then do Nusa Laut then work my way to the Banda Islands and the Lease Islands. I have not been to these places yet but all the trip reports I've read about them sounds out of this world.

If you are looking for easy to get to and good value for money places then I can personally recommend Lembeh and Bangka Island. Lembeh is just brilliant, been there twice and would go back in a heart beat. And even though there are many resorts now around the area the diving is still not crowded at all. In the 40 odd dives I've done there 90% of them it was just our boat on the dive site. Would happily recommend NAD and Divers Lodge Lembeh. Bankga is a great mix of health corals, fish life, and some good muck diving. I'm going back here in July.
I've been to Palau Weh, and considering the time and travel required to get there... not sure the diving is quite good enough to make it worth it. Stick to central and eastern indo.

Man I'm jealous... Indo is an incredible country and you will not want to leave.

Komodo has excellent diving and some great value liveaboards - Komodo liveaboards - Indigo Safaris,

i stayed on two of the LOB on this link, lalunia and pratiwi...:D beautiful diving in komodo and great boats.. a little smaller than other but very comfy, less crowded... great quality/price.... lalunia is more luxury, but pratiwi is special because they start the LOB also with only two divers.... and if you are lucky, it can be a dream LOB in a dream place(we are lucky:eyebrow:)... i think also lalunia start the LOB also with 4 divers.. but i don't know!! :wink:
bye bye
bol.

Hi Sherril,
This is definitely one difficult question toanswer and primarily depending on which months you'll be travelling. Indonesiahas diving North of the Equator as well as South of the Equator and thereforedifferent Monsoon seasons at different places and at different times of theyear.
I you want to dive inexpensive, your best bet isto start in Bali, get yourself a cheap car for hire (around 12 US$ p. day),head up to "Paradise Divers" in Tulamben, get a cheap room (10 to 25US$ p. night depending on room type) and grab yourselves a tank to dive rightoff the beach. Doesn't get much cheaper than that. Having a car, you can thenalso dive sites close by, like "Monkey Forest" or else the betterknown "Seraya Secrets". All that on your own, without a DM but the DM'sat POaradise Divers are never shy to tell you where to go and what and where tolook for the stuff. For liveaboards around Komodo (best time between May andSeptember/October) I'd check out "Grand Komodo", which has beenaround for decades, has basic boats and excellent guides who really know whatthey are doing. Having several boats, they do offer trips in other parts ofIndo such as Alor (fantastic diving, brilliant Muck, good for pelagics too andsome of the toughest currents in Indo...) as well as Raja Ampat. If you arelooking for something more off the beaten track, I would highly recommend youto check out Gorontalo (Northeast Sulawesi) and especially the Togian Islands(e.g. Blackmarlin Diving). Don't bother with places such as Nusa Laut (someonementioned this earlier) but rather do Ambon Bay and the sites just outside thebay (w. Maluku Divers).
If you're not too experienced, then BunakenIslands National Park, the sites around Manado, Banka and Gangga Islands aswell as the Lembeh Strait offer both wide angle scenery, drop offs, nice reefsand great muck. I could go on about diving in Indo because there are x-amountof more places which haven't been mentioned yet but if you're a first timer toIndo, then that should be sufficient info for now.

Have Fun!!!

My husband and I are looking to spend a month or so diving in Indonesia with possibly a stop in Palau. Indonesia is so huge, I'm looking for some recommendations as to where to go. We are both photographers who love to shoot large and macro subjects alike.

Since we're looking to stretch our trip as long as possible, I'm interested in budget friendly lodging. Thanks!

hello, we're looking for reasonably priced and decent LOB in komodo. any recommendations appreciated. :)

Try these guys - Dive Komodo

If you are traveling through Bali I would consider having few days in the Gilis, i think is what you are looking for. Here you will find a quiet and relaxed scuba diving atmosphere with cozy accommodation for all budgets.

I'm a photographer for a dive center in Gili Trawangan and as long as you want to go for macro photography this is an easy place to reach, no stress and with good marine life to take pictures of such as turtles and sharks and I'll be happy to show you around.

You can contact me at info@lutwala.com and I can help you find easy transfers, accommodation and everything you need.

Cheers.

Daniel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom