where to dive in japan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Georg_R

Registered
Reaction score
konichi wa!

I have never been in japan, but would I go there, what places should I go? Where is great diving possible, if it is possible at all.
Nobody I know has ever been diving in japan, nothing is kown about japanese divesites in europe, I think.

I once saw a docu on tv about diving on a kind of strange huge rock formation (looked like an ancient temple or ruin, but seems to be caused by nature); they filmed hammerheads there, and it seemed to be great. I don't remeber the name of the island well - was it Yonaguni?

please share your knowledge with us gaijins!

domo arigato,

Georg from austria

Georg_R:
konichi wa!
I don't remeber the name of the island well - was it Yonaguni?

Yes it is, i was living there a few years ago, and went on a trip to yonaguni. Three flights from Tokyo to reach there and on a clear day you can see Taiwan.

The monument as it is called is quite spectacular however there were raging currents and we just flew through the boulders in a high speed drift. I didnt see the hammerheads unfortunately but it was a great trip if a little expensive for the 5 dives.

Georg_R:
konichi wa!

I have never been in japan, but would I go there, what places should I go? Where is great diving possible, if it is possible at all.
Nobody I know has ever been diving in japan, nothing is kown about japanese divesites in europe, I think.

I once saw a docu on tv about diving on a kind of strange huge rock formation (looked like an ancient temple or ruin, but seems to be caused by nature); they filmed hammerheads there, and it seemed to be great. I don't remeber the name of the island well - was it Yonaguni?

please share your knowledge with us gaijins!

domo arigato,

Georg from austria
Hi-
I've never been to Yonaguni - I'm planning to go in December. I believe that the best time for the Hammerheads is January/February. Some of the folks here have been though - so I expect you'll get a better answer soon!!
Our new Japanese club on SB only started today so not everyone has seen it yet. I'm going to start a thread tomorrow for precisely what you are asking - to get everyone to describe the divesites that they know in Japan - and their own best dives here. It's actually very varied diving in Japan - from water coral diving down in Okinawa - all the way to ice- diving up in Hokkaido (although I'm not sure how many people have been to Hokkaido from SB!!)
Anyway - keep an eye on our club and I'm sure a lot of information will soon begin to appear!!

Been to Yonaguni a few times (about 30-40 now) and the diving down there is just awesome. Awesome reefs, great walls and reefs and the monuments are stunning. The hammerheads school in Jan/Feb and the drifts with the schools of sharks are unbeleivable. Also tons of turtles, huge moray eels, tons of clown fish and nudibranchs on every dive. My absolute favorite place to dive.
Will post more about Okinawa and other spots soon.

Where to dive? Okinawa, of course!

I'm rather biased since I live here and was certified here, but from what I hear from others, it does compare favorably with many other places to go. The Keramas, an island group off the main island of Okinawa, have some fantastic spots, but I've only made one trip out there so far.

The Ryukyu chain has plenty of diving available, and I only have another 13 months here so I better take advantage of it while I can!

Izu is nice. I go there every 2nd week for diving as it is so close and good. Only one hour away from Tokyo. Soft corals, vis ok (5-30 m), clown fishes, morays, sharks... you name it. We will go July 17-18.

Okinawa is superb like the others already said. If you go to Yonaguni... consider February when the possibility to see hammerheads are greater.

Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom