Where to dive when the surfs up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmcd16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got stuck diving the inner reef at Hanauma Bay today -- and H Bay is where I was told to go when the water was acting up. Does anyone have any tips for a nice shore dive in this weather? I'm only going to be on the island for another couple of days. My skill level is pretty fresh (less than 50 dives), but my buddy has been been diving for 20 years (lost count).

Or have I just chosen the wrong week? :)

Thanks,
J

Kahe Point was very diveable on Wednesday. You have to check the surf reports, and talk to some local folks, there is generally somewhere you can go from the beach. If not, call Gabe and do a boat dive. He's a great guy.
Charlie

Usually the island provides protection from the prevailing surf on one of its shores. As Kline said, check the surf reports (surfline, surfnewsnetwork, NOAA) for conditions. The surf should be down on the south shore through tomorrow, leaving Kewalo Pipe and outside Hanauma Bay open. The west shore looks pretty good for today at least, so Kahe Point and Makaha would be good options as well.

When you guys dive Haunama bay, are you required to bring a dive flag? Just curious. I do have a flag. I will be there end of April for shore dives.

When you guys dive Haunama bay, are you required to bring a dive flag? Just curious. I do have a flag. I will be there end of April for shore dives.

I've done a few dives there, talked with the lifeguards plenty, and never taken a dive flag. Boats generally don't go in there, and I feel sorry for the guy in charge of the boat that does. That being said, it's still a good idea to properly plan your gas for the dive, and leave a smidge extra for the return through the surge.

Peace,
Greg

Kahe Point is your best bet. It's been about the only good shore site the last couple of weeks.

Lifeguards don't enforce the dive flag rule in Hanauma. They will just ask where you are going so they can rescue you.

Otherwise take a boat.

Back
Top Bottom