Where to get a Halcyon HID 10W Light Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drizzt117

Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a Stealth Dive Light with the new Halcyon 10W HID Light head. However, I got on his webpage, and it says Halcyon is no longer selling him lightheads, so he can't do it. I still want the light, so is there any place I can just buy the lighthead. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas

drizzt117 once bubbled...
I was thinking about getting a Stealth Dive Light with the new Halcyon 10W HID Light head. However, I got on his webpage, and it says Halcyon is no longer selling him lightheads, so he can't do it. I still want the light, so is there any place I can just buy the lighthead. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas

I was lucky enough to get the whole setup through Dan.I think it stinks Halcyon cut him off like they did.Dan does excellent work on his canisters.Mine is still working flawless.

Anyways the following places should be able to provide the light head

http://www.extreme-exposure.com/

www.fifthd.com and possibly http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/index.html

Thomas,

I’m in the same situation. Since Halcyon practices “Fair Trade Pricing” (A.K.A. price fixing and/or market manipulation). I ordered mine through Atlantic Edge in Gaithersburg, figuring if I’m going to be taken advantage of via market manipulation I might as well be taken advantage of by an LDS. I ordered it just after Christmas but it hasn’t come in yet.

As to no longer selling the light heads to Stealth Dive, I think that Halcyon is being very short sighted. It’s paramount to an admission that Stealth Dive’s canister is superior, otherwise how could they compete? Halcyon’s policy is working contrary to the interest of those of us that want the best quality gear, for their own monetary gain. I hope they realize we’re not going to forget it when Scuba Pro and Sea Quest come out with their own line of Back Plates and Wings. Before this I may have been willing to spend a few extra dollars for a Scout or Spool, if for no other reason than to reward inovatin, but after this experience I say bring on the clones.

Mike

MikeS once bubbled...
I’m in the same situation. Since Halcyon practices “Fair Trade Pricing” (A.K.A. price fixing and/or market manipulation).
Mike

Gee Mike, if they're such a terribly evil company I wouldn't think you would want to spend your money on their products.

WW

I never said they were terrible or evil, I said they were short sighted. They make some products that at least in my opinion are the best available, for example the Pioneer 36# wing, 10 Watt HID Light head, etc. So, if you want the best you are forced to do business with them or settle for something less. Rather than using their superior products to build a reputation for the best possible equipment and building brand loyalty, they are manipulating the market for short-term economic gain. Soon they will become victims of their own success. As BP&Ws become more popular it is only a matter of time until one or more of the big boys get involved in the game. If by that time they have not established brand loyalty they are in trouble as there is no way they can compete head to head with the resources of say SeaQuest.

I think that they would be better served by working with Stealth Dive to make it easier to purchase the best possible equipment, which in my opinion is a Halcyon light head with a Stealth Dive Canister.

So for now I’ll buy the light head from Halcyon and ship it to Stealth Dive. However, I resent that Halcyon has made it more difficult for me to get what I perceive as the best. They left three choices; buy the head and send it to Stealth Dive, buy a Stealth Dive with the Dive Rite head, or buy the complete Halcyon package. I guess they thought I would buy the Halcyon package. Well, I want the best so I didn’t, and while they got my money for the light head, it left a sour taste in my mouth, which I won’t soon forget.

MikeS once bubbled...
Soon they will become victims of their own success. As BP&Ws become more popular it is only a matter of time until one or more of the big boys get involved in the game. If by that time they have not established brand loyalty they are in trouble as there is no way they can compete head to head with the resources of say SeaQuest.

Like Scubapro has?

as for competing with seaQuest or similar, you might be right that a mass production company could grab a large chunk of the recreational market by mass producing cheap imitations of Halcyon gear. In the tech market, their target market, I'd say the brand loyalty is established.

WW

MikeS once bubbled...
I think that they would be better served by working with Stealth Dive to make it easier to purchase the best possible equipment, which in my opinion is a Halcyon light head with a Stealth Dive Canister.
In what ways is the Stealth canister superior to the Halcyon?

I appreciate the service I have received from Halcyon... replaced my (over one year old) lighthead with one of the new ones at no charge... replacing a broken bulb at no charge... plus other things they have done to support their products I purchased.

I can see why they would not want to have their light heads being resold as part of someone else's package... no Halcyon quality control and yet their reputation is on the line... Stealth doesn't have anything to lose but Halcyon does. If someone has a Halcyon lighthead and it gets screwed up by Stealth or a Stealth customer Halcyon is going to take the heat for it.

I think they made a good business decision.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I can see why they would not want to have their light heads being resold as part of someone else's package... no Halcyon quality control and yet their reputation is on the line... Stealth doesn't have anything to lose but Halcyon does. If someone has a Halcyon lighthead and it gets screwed up by Stealth or a Stealth customer Halcyon is going to take the heat for it.

I think they made a good business decision.

It could also be a 'supply and demand' issue. Between warranty replacements on the old HID heads and new orders of HID units, they may only have enough to keep themselves fluid. It's not good business to sell to OEM's if you're not keeping your own end users supplied. Even some of the new heads have their own problems, so why propagate those outside of your own supply chain.

Just a thought,
wb

In what ways is the Stealth canister superior to the Halcyon?

I think that the 100 % Delrin construction is superior to the Plexiglas lid.

I appreciate the service I have received from Halcyon... replaced my (over one year old) lighthead with one of the new ones at no charge... replacing a broken bulb at no charge... plus other things they have done to support their products I purchased.

Up to this point, I have had no complaints with Halcyon, all of their products I have purchase have been of the highest quality.

If this were the case, why would they not stop selling standalone lightheads altogether rather than singling out Stealth Light? As far as I know you can still buy the 10 Watt HID head with integrated handle from any authorized distributor and do whatever you want with it.

Upon reflection, I decided that I was not being fair in assuming what their motives were. So I have sent them the following “Comments & Questions” to Halcyon and will await their response before making any further comments on the subject.

Gentlemen,

I recently attempted to order a Stealth Light 10 Watt HID System with the new style Halcyon HID from DJS technical. I was informed by Dan Scoville that Halcyon would no longer sell them the 10 Watt HID head with integrated handle. This is rather annoying. While in my opinion the new Halcyon 10 Watt HID head with integrated handle is the best available, the Stealth Light canister is clearly superior to the Halcyon version.

Is it true that you will no longer sell the HID heads to DJS Technical? If so, do you realize how that complicates the process of getting the Stealth Lite system with the Halcyon HID, which in my opinion is the best available?

It seems to me that Halcyon, known for the highest quality products, would find a way to work with DJS technical to enable customers to get the best possible system.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Mike

MikeS once bubbled...

I think that the 100 % Delrin construction is superior to the Plexiglas lid.

Up to this point, I have had no complaints with Halcyon, all of their products I have purchase have been of the highest quality.

If this were the case, why would they not stop selling standalone lightheads altogether rather than singling out Stealth Light? As far as I know you can still buy the 10 Watt HID head with integrated handle from any authorized distributor and do whatever you want with it.

Upon reflection, I decided that I was not being fair in assuming what their motives were. So I have sent them the following “Comments & Questions” to Halcyon and will await their response before making any further comments on the subject.

Gentlemen,

I recently attempted to order a Stealth Light 10 Watt HID System with the new style Halcyon HID from DJS technical. I was informed by Dan Scoville that Halcyon would no longer sell them the 10 Watt HID head with integrated handle. This is rather annoying. While in my opinion the new Halcyon 10 Watt HID head with integrated handle is the best available, the Stealth Light canister is clearly superior to the Halcyon version.

Is it true that you will no longer sell the HID heads to DJS Technical? If so, do you realize how that complicates the process of getting the Stealth Lite system with the Halcyon HID, which in my opinion is the best available?

It seems to me that Halcyon, known for the highest quality products, would find a way to work with DJS technical to enable customers to get the best possible system.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Mike

Make sure you keep us up to date on their response.I think Halcyon is a great company and they reserve the right to sell to whom they wish.I have found dan to be a great guy to deal with and very meticulous of his work.Dans cannister is of very high quality as is Halcyon.I have seen them side by side and have to admit the craftmanship on the stealth seems to be better but dont get me wrong the halcyon is of very high quality also and both will do what you need.Im just curious as to the reason why halcyon will no longer sell to dan.Hopefully we will find out shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom