Where to get cave diving trained?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Can training be completed in Missouri?

My understanding is that "The mine" often falls short of the vis requirements for training. Vis at the entrances is often a line drill though you can usually find beter vis further in. When I say line drill that's pretty much what I mean. Should vis be good enough, there is certainle ample oportunity for circuits and traverses though.

There aren't any circuits or traverses at Roubidoux unless you could somehow count the little line run around the staircase (the drop) as a circuit. I don't know if it meets standards but I think it would be a joke.

I Think you could do a circuit at Cannonball but no traverse.

I'm not a cave instructor and I love diving those caves but I would think there are better places to teach a cave class.

I know of one agency certifying in Missouri,and I know that another one is working to provide training there in the near future.

Thanks for the replys. I know the dives would be guided but at present there is no training into the mines, they want a C-card. Sounds like that kind of skill I will have to pass on. Its a long way to travel to get certified, and I wouldn't be able to practise the cave dive skills anywhere around home. I do think it would be an incredible dive though.

http://www.divenewfoundlandandlabrador.com/xdiving/

karstdvr:
I know of one agency certifying in Missouri,and I know that another one is working to provide training there in the near future.

Are they looking to make adjustments to the standards to make the Missouri caves a better match?

I guess I only know one instructor who regularly teaches in Missouri. I think he's an IANTD instructor. I don't know him very well and I've never discussed the details of how he gets the classes done with him. I'm sure there are other instructors teaching there but he's the only one that I've met personally.

Of the few Missouri students that I've known, some of those became impatient with the classes dragging out and eventually went to Florida to finish up. At least one of the major delays was dives being put off due to conditions...sometimes after a long drive.

My own opinion, for what it's worth, is that if you're going to be diving Missouri caves, you might as well do at least some of your training there because it aint Florida. You might wait a good long time before you ever get 20 ft vis at the Mine, especially at the entrances. I'll bet I had 30 dives in the place before I even knew what the entrance really looked like. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom