where to go for 1 week dive trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi-- I have been working like a mad woman the past few months, so i have decided to treat myself to 1 week of diving in the 2nd half of april and I cannot decide how to make the most of my budget... please help!

I have been diving in west palm bch, catalina island, saba, puerto rico, sipidan, roatan, dom rep, and playa del carmen with 1 day in cozumel. i really loved the 3 dives i did in coz and have wanted to go back to see more, but i have also always wanted to do a liveaboard. the research i have done thus far shows that as far as a liveaboard goes, either blackbeards or carib. explorer in the bahamas fit my budget. all told, a week in coz seems like it would be about the same price.

i just cannot decide which would be a better dive experience overall... it seems like i would definitely get more dives on a liveaboard, but i am worried that the quality of diving in the bahamas may not be as good as coz, and since i have been to some amazing spots thus far, i don't want to be disappointed-- although of course i will just be happy to be under water for a week!!! any opinions on the options mentioned, or suggestions for ideas that i have missed would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

i have actually always wanted to go to bonaire but since i will be travelling alone i worry that all the shore diving won't be the best option for a buddy-less diver!

If you decide to go back to Coz. check out Aldora - not a liveaboard but they have their own hotel so the boat picks you up right outside your room. The DMs there are top notch. I'll be going back myself in May.

scren:
i have actually always wanted to go to bonaire but since i will be travelling alone i worry that all the shore diving won't be the best option for a buddy-less diver!
I have a group going to Bonaire 4/21/07--4/28/07 will send pm..

Belize is my favorite when I only have a week. It's a direct 5 hour flight from Newark. I can highly recommend the Belize Aggressor--I was last aboard in December and had a great trip.

I'm in the same boat.. Crazy work schedule... left over vacation to burn.. Going to Belize next week on the Nekton.. Direct flight from EWR.. Hotel pickup.. Got a great rate with the last minute reservation. Good Luck !!

hi, i think you should try banderas bay. (Puerto vallarta, mexico) there are some awesom gettaway places, lots to choose from, from treehouse huts to luxery condos, to city life to out of civiliztion with no cars and no buildings no streets. and the diving is good. chimo is great diving, lots of sealife and the mantas are very common in april.pm me for more info.

Been awhile since i have been on the boards....popped back in to see what the latest opinions were on a similar trip. Though I know for sure I am going to do another liveaboard...if you're in for a DIVE trip, it's the only way to go.

Although I won't be going to the Bahamas, I did take a trip through there with Nekton and it was nothing short of wonderful. As a matter of fact I had the pleasure of running into a fellow SB member (MB) and his wife. From your description you are operating on a limited budget...take a look at Nekton. They are not the most luxurious (Agressor), but from what I have seen and heard they are a vast improvement over Blackbeards "camping at sea". Diving, food, company were all excellent!

The other two trips were the Turks and Caicos with Explorer Ventures....PHENOMINAL!!! and Belize with Nekton (liked the Bahamas so much with them I decided to try em out in another local)

Hmmmm.....now that I think about it...maybe I will go back to the Bahamas...though I hear Nekton is in Grand Cayman now as well and Explorer has some new destinations....so many choices:bang:

Good luck and if you're heading to the Carribean I am sure you will have a blast =)

Jeff

I strongly suggest Bonaire. You'll be able to do a lot of diving and the reefs are healthy. Whatever your choice you'll need a buddy. Buddy Dive is a popular resort. You can arrange to do boat dives and if you can't find a buddy hang with the DM.
The house reef is great, and an easy and convenient place to do night dives.
Have fun.
Rex

Back
Top Bottom