Where to go for best chance of shark sighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm planning a dive trip for my two sons and I for next year. For financial reasons this is likely our last chance to do a "warm water" trip together.

We have been looking at the usual destinations...Cozumel, Roatan, Belize. Neither of my sons has seen a shark on an open water dive yet and it would absolutely make the trip if we could see one or two. One of my sons is a marine biologist and has no interest in a typical "shark dive" with hand feeding while the divers sit and watch. They both just want an opportunity to see a shark free swimming in its natural environment.

The species honestly doesn't matter...they would be thrilled with a nurse shark sighting!

Can anyone help me determine which caribbean destination has the best chance for shark sightings and even the best time of year (we are flexible on the date).

Thanks guys!

Bob (Toronto)

Hey Bob. I think you would be fairly safe with Bahamas.....

Bahamas Diving Itineraries:: Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

Also,
Lemon sharks congregate in Jupiter, Fl every year around February.
or, just dive with one of the guys spearfishing off Jupiter. All they have to do is fire a speargun and the sharks arrive, mostly reef sharks and an occasional bull.

They have a "shark dive" at Coco View in Roatan. I think they go to the west end and do it. If you are thinking of a possibly Roatan, check with the resort you go to and see if they offer this option. On something like that, seeing a shark is pretty near a 100% chance. Usually, this sort of dive involves feeding the sharks, but I am not certain.

I understand that some of the resorts in the Bahamas offer "shark dives" and again, I think these are nearly a 100% chance.

I have gone diving at Little Cayman a number of times and I always see sting rays, Carribean Reef Sharks, nurse sharks, large grouper and turtles. But they don't offer a "shark" dive.

Any dive op in freeport bahamas that goes to "shark alley". Lots of carribbean reef sharks and nurse sharks

Yes - Bahamas is OK. We also saw sharks on every dive in Turks & Caicos.

We really aren't looking for a "Shark Dive" per se. We just want the best chance to see a shark on a regular dive.

Thanks for all the info so far!

Bob

It's not the Carribean but I have never failed to see at least a dozen sand tiger sharks when diving the wreck of the Proteus out of Cape Hatteras, NC.

Here is a video one of my buddies shot a few years ago: Proteus in 2008 - YouTube

Realistically the only place on Roatan you're likely to see sharks is the Waihuka Shark Dive which seems contrary to what your son wants: Roatan Shark Dive It's done off the airport on the south side. The first part of the dive the sharks just mingle with the divers and they don't feed them until near the end of the dive - it's not like the shark feeds done in the Bahamas at Stuart Cove's and others where they constantly bait them in. But it is kind of:
typical "shark dive" with hand feeding while the divers sit and watch.
In a week of 20 other dives on Roatan we didn't see any other sharks - the DM said that's pretty typical.

We saw at least one shark on most dives last year at either French Cay or West Caicos in the Turks/Caicos. We were on the Explorer but day boats go out there from Provo. At French Cay one dive I filmed a 6' reef shark for about 10 mins, when he left another one soon came up the wall and there was a third one that stayed just out of video range most of the dive - sort of shadowed me. There was a smaller spotted (leopard?) shark that stayed near the mooring - I saw him multiple dives. At night they fed in the boat lights.

We also saw shark(s) when we'd drop down the wall at West Caicos to about 60-80' pretty often. As did other divers on the boat. Lots of Stingrays everywhere also.

Some idea of what to expect: Saudio's Trip Reports - not my trip report...

I went on my first dive trip ever to Belize. We went out of San Pedro (Ambergris Caye) with Ambergris Divers. The DM took a chum tube and we had 12 nurse sharks hanging around us at one time. It was not a shark dive per se, the DM was just trying to attract whatever fish he could with a chum tube... hope this helps..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom