Where to go in Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattiedread

Reaction score
Just started doing some research on a trip to the Caymans. I've read through a number of threads and I can't seem to get a grip on where to go for the best diving, most bottom time and relatively (as far as Caymans go) inexpensive. I'd like to do shore diving as much as possible. Would prefer not to rent a car... So, is there an area/hotels with dive operator on premises with very good diving and shore dive possibilities?
Thanks,
Mattiedread.

Sunset House or Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman are two options. Sunset House is in south Georgetown so walking to town is fairly easy. Cobalt Coast is on the north side of the island - not much near there within walking distance. There is a bus but it's a fairly long ride back to Seven Mile Beach for most other non-dive stuff.

The reef is too far out to be accessed from shore from any of the resorts/condos on Seven Mile Beach.

Tank rental is at Divers Direct in West Bay so you'd need a car for that - most diveops won't let you remove tanks from their property - including Sunset House. I don't think Cobalt Coast does either. Eden Rock downtown also rents tanks for off-site use but IIRC there's no hotels/condos downtown.

To do most of the shore dives you'll need a car as they're spread all over the island. This is a an old list but will give you some idea - some of these sites are now private property. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Cayman Islands, Caribbean

Inexpensive and Cayman aren't often seen in the same sentence...:rofl3:

mattiedread PM me I live in East Hampton,NY and own on Grand Cayman.

John

For a shore diving trip the best location is West Bay. I've stayed here a few times Cayman Vacation for the perfect hassle free holiday
Pretty inexpensive split between a few friends. It's a 2 minute walk to Sundivers, little further to Divetech at Lighthouse Point.

Divetech do an unlimited air/nitrox package for shore diving.

Realistically you are going to need a car. I've always rented from Andys. The little jeeps work well for shore diving. Think the cost was around $250/week

Go low season,share a condo,shore dive and eat in, you can spend less than $1000/week plus flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom