Where to go in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This from yahoo answers, (aprox 7months ago):-

<<<There are no ferries.. and the mailboat runs on an abnormal schedule only 2x a week. The trip takes 9-10 hours each way and cost about $50 each way.

I think they run 9pm on Tuesday nites and arrive at 10 am in Nassau... and return on Wednesday at 5pm and arrive at 3am. There's another boat from nassau on Friday at 10pm.. arriving 3am.

Unfortunately, these schedules change for many reasons.. so you can't really rely on then getting you to your destination on the day that you need to travel. (believe me.. it's happened to me).

Your best bet is to fly Bahamas air. They have 2 flights daily for about $150 r/t>>>

Home Page Bahamas Ferries-The Bahamas Marine Island Link don't advertise anything for that route.
Fly to The Bahamas on the National Flag Carrier Bahamasair. Service to all major islands including Nassau, Grand Bahama, Abaco, Andros, Exuma, Eleuthera, Cat Island and all of the Islands of The Bahamas shows prices at $190.50.

If you do want to investigate the possibility of boating there I believe all the mail boats go from Potter's Cay, in the harbor.
Good luck!
Dan

UNEXSO on Grand Bahama Island offers a dolphin dive I did a few years ago with my daughter and hope to do again this year with my son and his wife. It's very expensive ($200), but unforgettable.

Thanks for the info Dan, I figured it might be a little difficult and pricey to get from Island to Island. With only 4 days I guess I'll concentrate this trip on Nassau and possibly make a return trip the summer and check out Freeport.

Moose

Go to :International Legends of Diving - Scuba Diving Sponsored by Portage Quarry Not only do you get great diving and hotel, food, get togethers... everything but the flight you also get to hang out with many of the Legends of scuba diving from the US and the Bahamas. The price is unbelievable. The rooms are usually $189 a night but the package = like $67 a night. Hotel is right next to UNEXSO. 3 dives a day plus a shark dive too. Airport transfer and all. I will be glad to get you any info you may need. This is a once in a lifetime deal as the Legends are getting pretty old. Most are in their 70's. Anyhow just check it out. Even looks like Scuba Radio and Scubaboard may be there too. The event is April 2-6 2009

I got an email from Spirit air yesterday. They have deals from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport for $1 each way if you join the $9 club. Taxes and all are I think $120 total. Great deal to anyone wanting to go. There is also the cruise ship that take like 4 hours to cross. They have been giving deals of around $55.

I just got laid off, so I'm planning on taking a cheap vacation while my job search goes nowhere. I am planning on diving with Stuart Cove in the Bahamas, I don't care about the crowds, I just want to do the shark adventure. I'll probably try to stay somewhere cheap in Nassau and catch the bus from there. But I am only planning on staying around there for about 2 days, I have a few more days to kill. does anyone have any other suggestions as to where else to dive in the bahamas? Are any of the other islands, beaches or dive sites particularly noteworthy? I did a search and didn't see much. I don't have to dive everyday, if there are other cool sites or things to do I'm interested, I jst mostly think diving for the bahamas. Thanks.

I have not dove in the Bahamas but have been researching recently.
There is a place in Lantana, Fla. that motors over to Bimini on a Friday morning, YOu dive that afternoon and Saturday morning and Sunday morning and motor back Sunday afternoon. You stay in a house with other guest on the boat and all meals are prepared for you. $500pp This trip does not run every week as the owners (DM and boat captain) have normal jobs and do this about once a month I think. Mermaid divers. I hope to do this sometime this year. Just a thought

Howdy,

Looks like you are getting lots of insight from your fellow SCUBA enthusiasts! FYI - Blackbeards does offer 4 day trips. I think that theye are available every week. After my own recent layoff I plan to hide my head underwater for a week on board myself. We did 2 shark dives on my last trip and hit the water 4 times a day! Nice distraction from a slumping economy I say!!:D

Have a great trip wherever you choose and good luck on your job hunt.

I have not dove in the Bahamas but have been researching recently.
There is a place in Lantana, Fla. that motors over to Bimini on a Friday morning, YOu dive that afternoon and Saturday morning and Sunday morning and motor back Sunday afternoon. You stay in a house with other guest on the boat and all meals are prepared for you. $500pp This trip does not run every week as the owners (DM and boat captain) have normal jobs and do this about once a month I think. Mermaid divers. I hope to do this sometime this year. Just a thought

I just finished a trip to Grand Bahama and dove with Grand Bahama Scuba. They are first rate, relaxed, professional, and my recommendation if you're looking for a first-rate dive outfit.

Owner Fred and his wife Melinda are wonderful people.

Back
Top Bottom