Where to go with non-diver wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats for all the feedback. Wife and I do seperate trips quite often (I'm diving Philippines for 2wks with another woman in May)... but this is the trip to make up for that one :) I'll look into a bit more. I think she is starting to settle for Roatan unless she can come up with a package close to our budget. Problem is she likes the beaches of Bora Bora, I like the diving of Fiji - but would want to do a Liveaboard, and Roatan we can do for 1/2 the price (and is in the budget I was planning for).

Thanks! Jeremy

not sure what flights are like from the US, but the Maldives is a surprisingly economical location compared to places like Tahiti... very romantic and has mostly been visited by my non diving friends for a snorkling couples holiday.

they have mostly picked up packages including flights accom. and 1-2 meals a day... not sure how much more it'd be to design your own holiday there.

[yes I'm aware it's not in the pacific islands :p]

Thats for all the feedback. Wife and I do seperate trips quite often (I'm diving Philippines for 2wks with another woman in May)...
Are you doning the May UWPG Anilao trip? I'll be there- solo...

Maldives flights are ridiculous from US. DSR-3: Nope, I am diving Tubbataha and Coron. Dont know anything about UWPG trip, but I might tack on a few days in Anilao at the of my trip... around May 11.

"Separate destinations" - thanks, hilarious

To do Tahiti, you have do the outer islands, not Tahiti itself. I've been and to the overwater bungalows. They are worth the ridiculous price. You could do Moorea for a little bit cheaper.

I've been all the way to Bali on $750 per flight so it is doable but depends on time of year.

You could go to Beqa Lagoon in Fiji. If airfare was cheaper to Fiji, I'd be there more often but when I can pay the same to go to Indonesia and the diving is then cheaper, it's difficult to pay the same for Fiji.

I think you should take your wife where she really wants to go. I'm sure she would be very appreciative. :wink: While I haven't added up the cost for a trip I've scheduled for August I have reserved the following overwater bungalow in Bora Bora ($2625/wk):

46005b

I stayed in this same bungalow in 1986 and it was awesome. It's located on a fairly remote part of the island, well away from the large tourist hubs. Ironically, it's also considerably cheaper than staying in an overwater bungalow at the main resorts, along with hundreds of your best friends. There are also some great beaches nearby, as well as your own private swim step (great for those late-night, clothing-optional romantic dips in the ocean; OK, that worked for the honeymoon buy maybe not the pending 25th anniversary). Airfare was about $1,300, but continually varies on the Air Tahiti Nui website.

While there, your wife could get certified at TOPDIVE-Bathys and then you could both take the Polynesian Shark Diver specialty course.

You only live once and can't take your money with you when you die...

My wife is a non diver as well.
In recent years we have gone to Coz twice, Roatan and Hawaii once each.

Coz was perfect diving for myself, while my wife felt comfortable in the shopping areas.
Taking the boat to the mainland for dining/dancing and white sand was relaxing as well.

Kona Hawaii felt like Coz on the American dollar but the beach next the the hotel offered great snorkeling and the other island attractions were good for both of us.

Diving Roatan was fantastic... unfortunately we got there 2 days prior to the Military Coup and never left the resort... she was bored out of her mind.

I am a fairly new diver and I try to go to nice places and dive a few times. A few months ago we went to Tahiti. As most suggest, that is where the plane lands and then you leave for another island. We spent 5 nights in an over water bungalow on Moorea at the Hilton. This was world class snorkeling. The unit has its own deck with lounge chairs, tables, a fresh water shower, and stairs into the lagoon. The lagoon is about 4-5 feet deep with great snorkeling. Tons of coral heads, hundreds of fish, crystal clear water, and the most amazing hues of color.

After these 5 nights we did an 11 night cruise on the Paul Gauguin visiting the Cook Islands of Aitutaki and Rarotonga as well as Huhaine, Bora Bora, Taha's and Moorea. This was also spectacular. I only did four dives throughout the trip but they were quite memorable.

We were so impressed with the region that yesterday I paid my deposit on a trip in June to Fiji with 8 nights at one island resort and a 6 night cruise on the Blue Lagoon ship (about 50 passengers).

Suprisingly Costco has some decent prices to Tahiti. The air to Tahiti and Fiji, out of LAX, are about the same. While slightly over your budget you can do a 7 night Paul Gauguin (real 5 star ship) cruise around the Society Islands for about $3400 a person which includes free air from LAX. Everything on the ship, including liquor, is included.

My wife doesn't dive. She's "dragging" me back to French Polynesia :D. Spend the cash and take her to Bora Bora or one of the nearby islands. It's costly as hell but we have no regrets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom