Where to go (without going thru Miami) with a non-diving spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another Bonaire fan here. It's just hard to beat for the money and your hubby can dive the house reefs and be back before you even miss him. And they will offer boat dives as well so he could do a little mix of both without taking up a lot of his/your time. They have some great restaurants on the island and I think the food is very reasonably priced. And the weather is great there during our winter months. Always nice and warm because it's so far south.

I second Buddy's but it can be hard to get into unless you book way ahead. But Sand Dollar next door is nice and there are other nice places to stay. Check it out.

More suggestions. For both you can fly to Ft. Lauderdale. A smaller airport than Miami, but big enough to have services, yet much more pleasant, and less waiting.

1. A Caribbean cruise. With 3, 4, or even 5 port stops at locations good for diving. During those port days you can go to beach while waiting for him (bring a walkie talkie or cell phone so he can find you), or can stay on ship with lots to do.

2. Florida Keys. Key Largo (and others) has good diving. You'll find good food, maybe not many good beaches. But it'll be quiet and enjoyable.

While not diving, Miami South Beach has lots of good restaurant and amazingly cheap lunches. Key West is always good for a 1-2 day visit.
Prices are coming down even more due to the economic situation.

What about Roatan? I'm going there this summer and have found this info:

"Direct flights are offered on the weekends. On Saturdays, TACA and Continental offer direct flights from Houston to Roatan. Also on Saturdays, Delta offers direct flights from Atlanta to Roatan. On Sundays between February to August, Contintental will have flights from Houston direct to Roatan." (BIBR.com)

Not sure how accurate that info is or what the weather is like in Feb....just thought I'd throw it out there for ya. Have fun wherever you end up! Best of luck with the pregnancy!

I'm headed to Barbados in a couple of weeks. There is lots to do there, nice beaches, and supposed to be decent, if not great, diving.

I would second Cozumel, stay at Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop
even though it is an all-inclusive, it is small and cozy and walking distance to town.

Another choice would be Bonaire, agree that Buddy's rocks!
Welcome to the Buddy Dive Resort website

Belize has some places that might interest you. Ambergris Cay has lots of smaller hotels. Check out:
Ramon's Village, Belize Resort, Belize Resorts, Resorts in Belize, Ambergris Caye
might be what you are looking for.

robin:D

I think Curacao is a good idea for what you want - good restaurants, fair amount of things to do on land and a variety of beaches. And warmer water in Feb than someplace like T&C or Bahamas. Hanging on the beach or snorkeling while he shore dives could work out too. In your situation I would definitely consider the Marriott.

I try to avoid Miami airport too and it's hard for me to do that when going to Curacao. But as much as I hate Miami it seems like a decent option in the winter, when their weather is pretty reliable but might not be at an airport further north. When we usually have a problem is in summer when they have seemingly daily thunderstorms that have a ripple effect and screw everything up. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've generally found immigration and customs in Miami to be pretty quick and efficient, they do have the facilities to process lots of people if they are ready for it.

You can always doe the US Virgin Islands which we have a time share with Marriott there. St. John is a short ferry ride from St. Thomas, and there is really good diving in addition to snorkeling locations you can still do pregnant. Dive boats pick up at the Marriott, or it's only a 15 minute trip to the East side of the island and Coki Beach, Saphire beach, as well as Hiden Harbour. There is shore diving, boat diving, and great snorkeling at both Coki and Saphire. Also don't need a passport and don't have to go through customs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom