Where to Ice Dive near Baltimore, MD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Kreider

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for a recommendation on where to ice dive for a training weekend within a reasonable distance to Baltimore, MD. I need a location that has reliable ice in February.

Thanks!

Tom,
not a lot of ice diving in the Baltimore region, even in Feb., unless you count talking about diving while clinking the ice cubes in your cocktail. You'll need to head North and reasonable driving distance is all in the eye of the driver, but you'd be looking at 4 to 5 hours as you to upstate NY.

Rookman, on Scubaboard, teaches ice diving, I suggest tracking him down and see what he may have in store.

Jeff

This is an even longer haul for you, but I'll will definitely be heading to Muncie, Indiana for another ice class at the end of Jan/beginning of february. I need to assist with one more and log another 8 dives before I can actually teach the course myself. Would be willing to share expenses and would welcome another diver to drive out with. My vehicle or yours. 5 hour drive approximately from my place south of pittsburgh.

Is there any place in PA offers ice diving training? What are the general prerequests for ice diving training?

Someone told me that Dudas in West Chester offers the course in February but they drive up to Canada to do the dives.

The Naui prerequisites for Ice Diver are:
18 years of age, have a NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver certification and have at least 50 logged dives in a variety of conditions.
NAUI Worldwide Technical Courses

There are a couple spots that can be used but the problem here is that getting good ice is a crap shoot. I have a quarry that I plan to use once I get my ice instructor qualifications all done but even in the coldest part of this year their ice was only 4-6 inches at it;s thickest and that was spotty. Ice requires a great deal of surface support to be taught correctly. And you need warming facilites, hot food, and people willing to stand on ice for long periods of time with wet ropes going thru their hands. The way it's done in Muncie is great. The instructors have been teaching it for over 20 years and know how to do it right

There are a couple spots that can be used but the problem here is that getting good ice is a crap shoot. I have a quarry that I plan to use once I get my ice instructor qualifications all done but even in the coldest part of this year their ice was only 4-6 inches at it;s thickest and that was spotty. Ice requires a great deal of surface support to be taught correctly. And you need warming facilites, hot food, and people willing to stand on ice for long periods of time with wet ropes going thru their hands. The way it's done in Muncie is great. The instructors have been teaching it for over 20 years and know how to do it right

Tom, Dick and Carol are great instructors out at Muncie. I had been going out to Muncie for the last 8 years on the Sunday Ice dives and no matter how large or small the class is, it is always ran very professionally.

Rich up at WhiteStar also teaches Ice classes and he runs a great program too. I started to go up there the last two years and his classes were ran top notch also. White Star will more than likely be closer for you. Both facilities have free food, warming stations, plenty of surface support and great vis.

Back
Top Bottom