Where to learn???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best place to look for a PADI facility is on the PADI website. I just checked and there appears to be two stores in Regina.

This one right here is a PADI 5-star facility.

The Dive Shoppe Wescan, Inc.
214 4th Avenue East
Regina, Saskatchewan S4N 4Z6
CANADA
Phone: (306) 347-0025
Fax: (306) 347-0040

Hope this helps

M
:eek:ut:

That is the way to find a PADI facility, but I didn't see that was what was requested. PADI is the 500 lb gorilla, but it's far from the only option.

How to choose an intsructor explains how to find the best instructor available. Good luck in your search.

PADI is not the only option - fair enough. However, the store mentioned is a 5-star facility. In PADI terms this is a very high rating and a store requires to maintain high quality staff and offer high programs to stay a 5-star facility.

I'm sure other associations offer high quality programs for new divers as well. I won't be able to comment on their availability in Regina though. However, it is a fact that PADI covers over 90% of the market in Canada.

M

I am not sure if this is a trol for me to respond or not but...

The Dive Shoppe Westcan closed it's doors at the end of April.

There is myself a private instructor listed in phone directory as Adventure Sports and Planet Scuba.

Planet Scuba has the only known commercial compressor in the city.

You could also call the Scuba Guy's Dive shop in Moose Jaw if you are interested in an ACUC Cert.

Ron

MiniMe once bubbled...
PADI is not the only option - fair enough. However, the store mentioned is a 5-star facility. In PADI terms this is a very high rating and a store requires to maintain high quality staff and offer high programs to stay a 5-star facility.
That just isn't true. I think PADI chose the 5 star name as a deliberate deception so that people would assume it has some correlation to quality, as with the Michelin rating guide for hotels and restaurants, which is an indication of quality. Assumptions like yours prove their deception works to a large degree.

All the PADI 5 star appellation means (note that it is not a rating) is that a particular shop is 100% PADI. It does not use any other training materials, it does not issue certifications from any other agencies, and it goes PADI all the way. (There are basic requirements that other agencies have also, like a shop being a legitimate dive shop and not something like a bait shop teaching diving on the side.)

It is equivalent to the Mr. Goodwrench program from General Motors. They will use only GM parts, unlike independent repair shops that may use parts that are less expensive yet equal or superior in quality.

PADI 5 star designations have nothing to do with quality. Notice that there are no 1-4 star designations, unlike the Michelin Guide and any others that do report on quality and don't use marketing deception. There are no roving bands of quality assurance inspectors checking up on PADI dive shops (5 star or otherwise) and making sure they measure up to some nebulous idea of what constitutes quality.

There are no roving bands of quality assurance inspectors checking up on PADI dive shops (5 star or otherwise) and making sure they measure up to some nebulous idea of what constitutes quality.

I would not be show sure about that.

PADI does hire PI's to check out stores and instructors.

Every customer,student,pool operator or other facility owner can
file a QA with PADI.

Ron Brandt

There are no roving bands of quality assurance inspectors checking up on PADI dive shops (5 star or otherwise) and making sure they measure up to some nebulous idea of what constitutes quality.

In addition to what Ron said, there most certainly is Quality Assurance in place for PADI. Random surveys are sent out to students that ask very pertinent questions about the level of training they received, whether or not their Instructor was professional, etc.

Also, General Standards & procedures require every PADI Professional to report any unprofessional conduct or breech of Standards to PADI. Otherwise, they are in violation of Standards.

~SubMariner~

SubMariner once bubbled...

In addition to what Ron said, there most certainly is Quality Assurance in place for PADI. Random surveys are sent out to students that ask very pertinent questions about the level of training they received, whether or not their Instructor was professional, etc.

Also, General Standards & procedures require every PADI Professional to report any unprofessional conduct or breech of Standards to PADI. Otherwise, they are in violation of Standards.

~SubMariner~
You misunderstood, I did not say PADI has no QA. It does what other agencies do, it relies on feedback from newly certified divers (and others), all second hand information. The newly certified don't know enough to know if standards have been met in most cases, but hearing from them is better than nothing. Also, this system is not limited to any single agency.

Unlike the Michelin Guide, which has experienced food critics and reviewers checking out hotels and restaurants every year, gathering first hand impressions, dive agency QA is second hand information.

The PADI 5 star program is a hoax designed to trick people into thinking it directly relates to quality where it is strictly a marketing ploy, something PADI excels at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom