Where to place weight pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twinkles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Next question:

Even though I want to lighten up, I still want to travel with 2 or 3 wet suits. Many times switching suits between dives on a live aboard, so I want to be able to switch out weights easily. I don't like weight belts, so where on the rig would be the best place to mount a couple of weight pockets?

By the way I sure couldn't find any weight pockets on the DSS site is there a reason?

You can place weights directly on the 2" webbing of the weight belt... or you can slide weight belt pockets onto the waist belt. You can also get a small weight bag for the upper cam-band.

Here is the least expensive weight bag I've found for up to 5 lb. XS Scuba Single Tank Weight Pocket from LeisurePro.com

Golem, Dive Rite, and Halcyon all make ditchable weight pocket sets that vary in price from 80-$145 per set. It really depends on how much weight you need, and how much material you want on your belt (drag).

Next question:

Even though I want to lighten up, I still want to travel with 2 or 3 wet suits. Many times switching suits between dives on a live aboard, so I want to be able to switch out weights easily. I don't like weight belts, so where on the rig would be the best place to mount a couple of weight pockets?

By the way I sure couldn't find any weight pockets on the DSS site is there a reason?

It is certainly possible to add ballast to a BP&W via weight pockets on the waist belt, or on the cambands, but it's not my first choice.

Every pound you move from a weight belt to the rig increases the mass of the rig, and increases the amount the wing needs to support at the surface if you ditch the rig. Adding all the required ballast to the rig may require a larger wing than would be necessary with some of your ballast in a belt.

Belts are inexpensive and widely available.

Belts allow the ballast to separated form the rig for easier handling.

Having all your ballast on your rig and none on your person can make in water donning more difficult.

Weight pockets on the waist belt take up space that may be needed for a can light.

My preference:

If you need ballast use a SS Plate. If you need up to about 10 lbs more put it in a belt. (Or use a more negative tank) If you need more than your plate +10 lbs consider using weight plates + a belt.

Tobin

I used to have a not-insignificant dislike for weightbelts when I dived a jacket BC. Mine always seemed to get in the way. But now that I dive one a BP/W the weightbelt seems to disappear, I never notice it at all*. I'm not sure what it is about the rig that does it, but it works. :D

And I feel that weightbelts are by far the best way to add weight quickly and conveniently. Their advantages far outweigh their minor disadvantage of sometimes being uncomfortable and, since my BP/W has removed this disadvantage, this makes them my first choice for extra ballast. The only reason not to use on (IMO) is if you have to have the weight in a different place for trim reasons.

Good luck with your new DSS rig, you're going to love it! I know that I do ... as I frequently remind Tobin, I think he might get tired of my constant compliments :dork2:

* well ... it did get in the way of my plate until I moved my weights around to compensate. After doing so I now ever know it is there. :wink:

Thanks everyone. After I posted this, I found some of the discussion threads about how to position weight pockets for best trim. I see that it can become quite a complex issue. I think I will take Tobin and Saks advice and first experiment with a belt and go from there.

However, I can't control myself from making one comment about belts. One of the reasons I haven't like belts is that they never seemed very secure to me. I could always imagine inumerable ways those buckles could be inadvertently undone. And the number of weight belts I have found under boats somewhat validates my theory. On the other hand, I still haven't figured out how I lost that weight pocket from my vest that one time.

Thanks everyone. After I posted this, I found some of the discussion threads about how to position weight pockets for best trim. I see that it can become quite a complex issue. I think I will take Tobin and Saks advice and first experiment with a belt and go from there.

However, I can't control myself from making one comment about belts. One of the reasons I haven't like belts is that they never seemed very secure to me. I could always imagine inumerable ways those buckles could be inadvertently undone. And the number of weight belts I have found under boats somewhat validates my theory. On the other hand, I still haven't figured out how I lost that weight pocket from my vest that one time.

Suggestions:

(1) Buy a good quality stainless steel buckle, not some POS plastic one.
(2) Run the weight belt UNDER the crotch strap. If the belt were to come loose, it might hang on the crotch strap, giving you a chance to catch it before it completely falls off.

Back
Top Bottom