Where to polish SS backplate GTA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tournesol2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. I am in Vaughan, Ontario.
I have a SS backplate I bought used.
It was hand made. Bought second hand. I think I want it looking buffed and polished after seeing new plates.
Anyone know where I can get that done in Vaughan or Toronto? I don’t have the equipment or skills😞
Thanks

I know a place in Coburg but you’re gonna probably pay $300 best to buy your own tools from HD.

The tools to polish a stainless steel backplate are inexpensive and this is a perfect project to develop the skill…you can’t really farg it up as the fix would be to just keep polishing. You guys have Home Depot, Lowe’s, Woodbridge Home Hardware, etc. up there.

Home Depot:
Black and Decker random orbital sander: @ $35US

Ryobi random oribital buffer/polisher: @ $60US

While not pro quailing tools by a long shot, they will more than suffice for this as a DIY project.

-Z

Thanks. So sand then polish? What fineness sanding?
Depending on the state your plate is in, perhaps start with 220grit and work your way up to 800 or 1000. You don’t even need a radon orbital sander as the initial sanding can be done by hand but it will just take longer. For sanding pads for higher grit, check an auto body shop or an auto parts store.

For the random orbital polisher, for the final stages, there are polishing compounds available.

Perhaps @Eric Sedletzky will share some insight as he makes a polished version of his Freedom Plates.

-Z

Depending on the state your plate is in, perhaps start with 220grit and work your way up to 800 or 1000. You don’t even need a radon orbital sander as the initial sanding can be done by hand but it will just take longer. For sanding pads for higher grit, check an auto body shop or an auto parts store.

For the random orbital polisher, for the final stages, there are polishing compounds available.

Perhaps @Eric Sedletzky will share some insight as he makes a polished version of his Freedom Plates.

-Z
Just thinking about my recommendations and I believe a bench grinder with a polishing wheel would work better than the random orbital polisher, and would probably be more useful in the long run (at least it would be in my garage/shop).

-Z

I would post a couple of pictures of the plate. I would say you probably want even need to sand and if so at worse wet sand with 1500+

Thanks @Zef. With my lack of skill, it would sit dormant because I would loose a few fingers.
@ScubaJCBS here is a pic from original add.
I liked the scuff look when I got it. I did clean. It so it’s not that dull.

Attachments

• EAE6BF24-F904-4357-A3F1-F80D6E180A1A.jpeg
    EAE6BF24-F904-4357-A3F1-F80D6E180A1A.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 50
Well it's going to take either something motorized or alot of elbow grease. You can get neverdull and start the love and see what you think or wet sand it with the finest number sand paper you can find, then start polishing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom