Where to purchase cheap tanks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the boyancy characteristics im talking about are how alluminum tanks will start getting boyant when your low on air, steel tanks are always negative

ghostdiver1957:
Do you mean cheap or inexpensive?

Sorry, I meant inexpensive. I ended up buying an aluminum 80 from scubatoys they even threw in free shipping. Thanks for all the help :D

For your purchase decision, keep in mind that your LDS may have some incentives to get you to purchase tanks there. I picked mine up and got 20 free fills with each tank. Once I factored that into the price, it made sense to buy them locally. (it's had to get free fills from an internet purchase :wink: ).

In buisiness terms, think of your 'total cost of ownership' of the item :D

Just my $0.02.

Edit: Looks like you've already bought a tank :)

jeckyll:
For your purchase decision, keep in mind that your LDS may have some incentives to get you to purchase tanks there. I picked mine up and got 20 free fills with each tank. Once I factored that into the price, it made sense to buy them locally. (it's had to get free fills from an internet purchase :wink: ).

In buisiness terms, think of your 'total cost of ownership' of the item :D

Just my $0.02.

Edit: Looks like you've already bought a tank :)

I didn't even think of something like that. My LDS wanted $200 for an aluminum 80 so I steered clear. Oh well....

robb: Mine did as well (charge 200+), but once I figured in the fills it worked out in their favour. Scubatoys folks are great to deal with and I've purchased gear there in the past and would recommend them!

:)

I live In Little Rock & have an 80 to sell. Just hydrod 2 months ago. I need the money for my new steel 100.

BSea:
I live In Little Rock & have an 80 to sell. Just hydrod 2 months ago. I need the money for my new steel 100.

Dang!!! I already bought mine or I would have seriously considered it. Try putting it on ebay.

crlavoie:
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. AL 80's are lightweight and comparatively easier to carry which is a big plus if you do a lot of shore diving.
Only compared to a much bigger cylinder. For diving with 80 CF of gas there are much better solutions.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16
crlavoie:
However, IMHOP they suck at around 750 PSI and below due to their positive bouyancy.
They go positive way before 750 but that dosen't matter since you need to lug the extra ballast for the whole dive.
crlavoie:
In addition, 80 CF is just not a lot of air (again, just my opinion). Most steels on the other hand, are either neautral or negative when the cylinder is empty allowing for more consistent bouyancy throughout the dive.
Consumption of air is loss of mass and an increase of buoyancy regardless of the container. Your weights are set using the same method regardless. If you get a bigger cylinder as you desire the swing will be more since you will be breathing away more mass.
crlavoie:
Beware though, some steels are excessively negative. Some as much as -8 lbs empty, which to me, requires too much futzing around to get your weight and trim figured out.
What could be better than having a nice long weight distributed over you bouyancy (lungs)? I don't seeing this as a trimming challenge.
crlavoie:
There are also folks that will claim that steels are down right dangerous... the jury is out on that one.
This can become an issue particularly then diving in a heavy wetsuit and diving deep enough to loose a lot of suit byoyancy. If there is a BC failure they can be difficult to swim up. A drysuit provides redundant lift.

Pete

robbcayman:
I'm in the market for an 80 aluminum or steel tank (is there a advantage or disadvantage between aluminum vs steel) Where's the cheapset place online to pick up a tank? Thanks

To asnwer you directly is there a difference, darned right there is. Your profile does not say where you dive but steels get more and more impressive as you move into heavier wetsuits and drysuits.

Follow this post though and you should understand.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16

Be careful online. On some cylinders there is little discount online, especially with HP steels. There are some LP steel pahsouts happening and those that brought these in quantity are offering some deals. Asside from close-outs there is a very small margin in cylinders so nobody can be too much less.

Be careful though. My beloved E7-80s have a going price of about $205. Some have been seen trying to get over $300. for these. Message: Shop around so you know the going rate.

Remember that an onliine tank will come with the valve removed any your LDS will probably charge you to commision the tank. This is usually gratis on a store purchased tank. Same deal for your first fill, $4 is $4. Be sure there are no gotchas in shipping. Sending one tank UPS to a residence is different than a common carrier delivery to a commercial location.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom