Where to see seals and such?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can see them almost anywhere you find great whites!

Seriously, Ano Nuevo is pretty awesome at the right time of year. You can also see sea otters at Point Lobos. Way cool.
Yeah, watching sea otters dive for food is very cool.

I've bumped into them literally at Lovers point and Break water; harbor at lovers and lion at BW...

They will pose for you if you take a camera down with you... This one is at Lovers...
wa20dj.jpg

I think we were at MacAbee and Pt. Lobos when wew had sea lion and seal encounters. The first time, we saw 3-4 juveniles, some lounging on the bottom, and one darting back and forth from behind, trying to pull our fins off. The second time, we heard a mature sea lion barking, seconds before it dive bombed us and sped off into the distance.

One time, I felt something continually pulling at my fins and legs, and just pointed my camera behind me. Turned out to be this: YouTube - Playful seals and hidden cameras

East end of Drbill's home, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, and Santa Barbra are hot and sometimes Anacapa as well! I have had some rally cool encounters at Santa Cruz Island! Always remember one rule around Seals your in the water with a huge German Shepard that can bite and your either a rival for a Bulls harem or one of his new brides! Moral of the story: Stay away form the rookeries and let them approach you! :wink:

I guess ill chime in too :wink:.

I am lagging on this weekends dive reports as yesterday ended up being very busy for me.

We were diving the end of the BW Wall Saturday and saw probably 10-15 sea lions playing with each other right in front of us. Several also buzzed by us probably 8 or so feet away. Very cool to watch, and its amazing how synchronized they look under water.

Thanks for the info. It's really helpful.

For June how is the viz?

What thickness of wetsuit do you recommend?

Thank you.

The thicker the wetsuit the better. When I dive wet (which is usually in SoCal, where it is 10 degrees warmer) I dive with a 7mm fullsuit, a 5 mm hooded vest, 5mm gloves (hands still freeze, though), 3mm bootie socks, and 5mm booties. In Monterey, I dive with a drysuit and 7mm hood, along with the 5mm gloves. It's cold here, especially if you are used to warm water diving.

5mm gloves (hands still freeze, though)

If you hands or feet get cold, it's because your body is diverting heat to keep the trunk and
head warm. My old scoutmaster used to say "if your feet are cold, put on a hat". Try
one of Cricket's 12mm hoods. Or thicker drysuit undies.

You'll find seals, sea otters, sea lions in the areas described by the others.

On a quasi different note, my wife and I took a whale-watching trip yesterday (4/27) with Sancutary Cruises out of Moss Landing (<20 miles north of Monterey). We encountered approximately 15 humpback whales and about 20 orcas. It was an absolutely stellar day on the water -- we disembarked at 9:30AM for a 4-hour tour. The crew, Noel & Francisco, were awesome!

If you're interested in more information, feel free to send a PM; I'll gladly offer what information and insight I have.

Sanctuary Cruises | Whale Watching on Monterey Bay | Year-Round Whale Watching and Special Charters

I dive wet - I guess that is what people are calling it. I have used the 7mm farmer John as well as the standard 7 mm with a 3mm hooded vest. The farmer John set up gives you more layers around the torso at 14mm whereas my 1 piece nets me 10mm. Boots and gloves are 6mm.

I've not logged as many dives as the other folk here, but 90% of my 50 or so dives have been in cold water whereas the other 10% have been in Hawaii. When I was diving off the Cypress Sea last year the water temp was around 49 degrees at 94 feet. This past Saturday I was at Lover's Point and the water temp was 54 degrees or so at surface and 53 or so around 45 feet.

I can dive like that for about 3 dives then I get exhausted. I only really noticed the cold during the second dive Saturday but I think it was because I was in the wet suit a bit longer after the surface interval, etc. By the time we got back in, swam out to one of the bouy's, hitting the bottom I seemed to notice it a bit more. But it kicked in again and I was all good.

The worst part about diving the wetsuit for me is that initial cold water that forms the layer between the body and the suit. After that though - I'm typically good. I would say if I was doing this a couple times more a month I would invest in a dry suit. As it is now its maybe every other month and I'm still learning. No need for me to complicate it.

I agree with Chuck in that if you are cold, or prone to getting colder, get a thicker hood, gloves, and boots. Especially the head piece. Heat escapes the head, no? So might as well invest in something a bit thicker.

I won't push any brand but the farmer John was a off brand from my local scuba shop - i think it was actually called Monterey - go figure. My current setup is the 7mm from aqualung.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom