Where to Start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been diving a while now and have recently been intrigued by taking pictures underwater. My whole diveing experice pretty much revolves around work (blackwater public safety/light commercial) spearfishing and collecting. My photography revolves around a Pentax W60 where i have taken pictures while snorkeling and above the water.

I guess I'm moving along the path to begin to take pictures and maybe even video at depth.

I've searched and read through various threads regading basic cameras, housings ect.

Could someone point a guy in a direction? Looking for a good (will consider used too)setup to begin. Looking at digital, with video capabilities, and a good housing, but gear that won't break the bank. I also must admit that it may, at times be hanging from the d-ring of a BC while Im scouring around for other things. So maybe a thousand dollar christmas tree (BC) ornament might not be for me(?)

Thanks for the reply's and thanks for the many thoughtful posts on scubaboard.

Last edited:
One option (that is more video with a few photos) is the HD Hero camera. You'll want the one that Sartek modifies though since the standard camera (off the shelf) has distortion issues in water mostly in HD mode.

This camera can fit into a pocket when not in use very easily since it is very small. That said it's not really a photography camera, but more a video camera.

Here is a video I did recently using this camera.

YouTube - New Years Day 2011 Quarry Dive

Mat.

A lot will depend on your budget. You can get a good P&S system (Canon G12/S95) in a Canon housing for $600 and a strobe for another $400 with arms. So you are in for about $1K. This system will do great photos and good video but if video is your main thing then you will need a good light ($500) instead of the strobe. For $800 you can get a Sealife system with strobe with good still pic quality but not so nice video. For $650 to $800 you can get a nice used system (check the SB and Wetpixel classifieds and Ebay), but you always wonder about underwater gear from there. There are less expensive options out there (Intova for example at $250 or less) but they are mostly for snapshots.

If you let us know a budget we can point you more better.
Bill

Thanks for the responses. Budget, will definately be under 1k for starters.
It will most likely see duty out of the water as well.
I guess an easier question isn't really what to get as far as what I should look for in a camera that will see that kind of duty.

Learning a lot so far.

In my limited experience, I've enjoyed my Canon S90. It takes great pictures on land and the full manual capabilities (ISO, F-stop, shutter speed, forced flash & power, etc.) are useful to teach you more about photography.

From reading posts of others whose cameras don't have manual shooting capabilities, there are difficulties syncing these cameres with external strobes.

That said, get a model with manual shooting features.

You can get a Canon S95 with the Canon or Ikelite housing, we can carry both housings and can explain the pros/cons of each. total with camera will be $575 or $715. good luck!

Scott

You could start out with a used point and shoot. It is a cheap way to start and still lots of fun.

Back
Top Bottom