Where to stay and who to dive with on Ambergris caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
trying to gear up for the next dive trip after the one to little cayman next week.
Where to stay and who to dive with. Also is the blue hole trip worth the 2.5 hour boat ride out there. looking to do around 15 dives or so in a weeks time. A place to store our dive gear and rinse tanks would be nice instead of using the room shower :) So a resort that has a dive shop attached to it would be great
Would like to find a place for no more than 200 a night,not per person.
Thanks!!

Pete,
I did read some posts on you and did go to your web site. All were positive:) Great info on your website,especially about the blue hole. We are most likely looking at fall or after the first of the year. Looked at Xanadu resort and the prices look like they would work for us.

Last edited:
Xanadu is highly regarded, so if you can get in (it's popular!) you won't go wrong. You'll also like Caribbean Villas just up the beach from Xanadu, which has a similar peaceful bird sanctuary feel. Xanadu has a pool; neither offers any food or drink.

If you want to do something with us you'll be welcome. Best email us at the address given on the website.

I was recently on Ambergris Caye and can highly recommend Peter and Pro-Tech as a dive operator. Small groups, comfortable boat, dive your computer and, yes...he will rinse and store your gear between dives. As you go through the various posts you will find that he, along with a few others on the island, tend to get great reviews from past guests.

Where to stay is highly dependent on where you want to stay. In the "downtown" area you wouldn't go wrong with either the Aqua Marina Suites or the Sunbreeze. Outside of the immediate San Pedro town area there are a lot of very good hotel properties and it boils down to your holiday style. The logistics of the island are that the hotels south of San Pedro provide easy access via road while hotels to the north of town are generally serviced by boat. There is a road up north but it is still fairly rough.

I posted a trip report for February, see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/226065-trip-report-san-pedro-belize-2-25-3-1-08-a.html
Even if you don't stay or dive with who I did, I expect it's useful background.

And there are a dozen or more similar reports on San Pedro, the blue hole, etc in this forum over the past year that I'd recommend reading. Lots of useful background. Considering the money and time you'll invest in such a trip, a couple of hours reading here seems like a good investment.

I posted a trip report for February, see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/226065-trip-report-san-pedro-belize-2-25-3-1-08-a.html
Even if you don't stay or dive with who I did, I expect it's useful background.

And there are a dozen or more similar reports on San Pedro, the blue hole, etc in this forum over the past year that I'd recommend reading. Lots of useful background. Considering the money and time you'll invest in such a trip, a couple of hours reading here seems like a good investment.

I read your report. Great one you wrote up!! thanks for all the info. Going to little cayman this Sat for a week ,put already looking at planning another dive trip to somewhere we have not been.
Thanks Much

Xanadu is highly regarded, so if you can get in (it's popular!) you won't go wrong. You'll also like Caribbean Villas just up the beach from Xanadu, which has a similar peaceful bird sanctuary feel. Xanadu has a pool; neither offers any food or drink.

If you want to do something with us you'll be welcome. Best email us at the address given on the website.

Thanks Pete, I will stay in touch with you!!!

My wife and I are considering a diving and relaxation trip Jun 20-23 and thinking about Belize.

We'll be flying out of Houston on an early morning flight and are hoping to get an afternoon dive or two in on the 20 if possible.

Most of my diving has been in Cozumel to date (along with Grand Cayman and the Flower Gardens), and I'm looking to branch out a little.

We'd like to find out more about recommend places to stay and operations to dive with. We're a bit budget conscious, but willing to spend a little extra if its really worth it.

I'm planning on exploring the link provided above, but was also hoping to get some more input here on the forum as well if anyone has any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!
John

John,

You won't find the "dive consciousness" quite as strong in Belize as in Cozumel. If you are in (and I'm assuming Ambergris here) by noon, you shouldn't have any trouble getting in an afternoon dive on day 1. Ambergris is more laid back. No American fast food to get in the way, great beach barbeques, fantastic people. Where you stay is a combination of needs and budget, you can find places from the very cheap to the quite expensive. The reef is good, I like the canyons there a lot, but it is different from Cozumel; not as much drift, and the coral is not as good (imho) you are more likely to see rays, perhaps a shark or two (other than nurse sharks). Unfortunately, the nurse-sharks are often fed by divemasters, and consequently are almost bothersome, and I don't believe it is good for the species.

I've been out with Amigos Del Mar, they were great, and I've heard fantastic things about Pro-tech as well. I used to recommend a small inn to stay, but I'm not doing that anymore, so I'll need to find a new place to stay next time down--be sure to post a trip-report.

Have fun, Belize is fantastic.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom