Where to stay in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JodyO

New
Reaction score
My husband and I are planning a trip to Bonaire 12/4-12/11/2005. We have stayed at Capt. Dons and thought the reef was beautiful and saw so many types of fish. We especially enjoyed the large green moray who popped out to greet us on a night dive. We are considering staying at the Plaza this time. I have questions and hoped you could answer them.
1) Is the reef at the Plaza as good as Capt Dons?
2) Is the gear storage as convenient to the dive area?
3) Is the food good and would you recommend a meal plan there?
4) Are there good restaurants within walking distance?
5) Do the rooms have screens so you can open the door to enjoy the weather or are you forced to use the AC?
6) The Plaza is close to the airport. Is the noise a problem?
Hope someone has answers/opinions. Thanks in advance for your help.

just wanted to say you'll have a blast in Bonaire... think "unlimited shore diving"

:wink:

I moved your thread here from the South American forum - that one is supposed to be closed to posts still and nobody can reply to it there, you'll get better results to your inquiry here...
  1. Comparable reefs. I might give a slight edge to the reef at Don's, I'll definitely give a strong edge to the beach at the Plaza.
  2. Gear storage at the Plaza is very convenient to the dock. The dock is a hike from the beach, however.
  3. The food at the Plaza is more Dutch than American, but it's fine. The food at Don's is American but nothing to write home about. If you have an adventurous heart, you'll have fun at the Plaza. If you don't, you can still get a burger or a steak or fresh fish or... The breakfast plan is worth it - they lay out a big spread, although you will see stuff there that you would never find on an American buffet.
  4. There are enough very good restaurants in town (a short walk from the Plaza) to keep even the fussiest foody happy.
  5. No screens on the doors at the Plaza but not many bugs, either, unless you go during noseeum season, when nobody is safe anywhere.
  6. The noise has never bothered us - you hear it but not often and not loud.

Don's is full of Americans and definitely more bohemian than the Plaza. I'll take the Plaza any day but that's nothing more than my preference - how do you say vive le difference in Dutch?

JodyO:
My husband and I are planning a trip to Bonaire 12/4-12/11/2005. We have stayed at Capt. Dons and thought the reef was beautiful and saw so many types of fish. We especially enjoyed the large green moray who popped out to greet us on a night dive. We are considering staying at the Plaza this time. I have questions and hoped you could answer them.
1) Is the reef at the Plaza as good as Capt Dons?
2) Is the gear storage as convenient to the dive area?
3) Is the food good and would you recommend a meal plan there?
4) Are there good restaurants within walking distance?
5) Do the rooms have screens so you can open the door to enjoy the weather or are you forced to use the AC?
6) The Plaza is close to the airport. Is the noise a problem?
Hope someone has answers/opinions. Thanks in advance for your help.
I definitely agree with most of what Reefraff already posted. Just a couple quick comments:

The reef off Plaza is the 18 Palms divesite. I doubt it's as good as Cliff.

The only restaurant I'd personally walk to other than the Plaza's is a little outdoor cafe across from the main entrance.

It has to be a mile or more to town from the Plaza, even to the restaurants on the south end. Especially if you get one of the villas on the Lagoon, then you'd have to walk all the way across the Plaza property too. Or a condo at Port Bonaire - they're on the other side of the lagoon. If you stay there, you get use of the Plaza facilities also since Plaza owns them.

It's a pretty good walk from the Divi and they're a lot farther north.

Just having been to/dove at/eaten at both resorts, my opinion would be that Plaza is generally newer. And I think the pool is bigger. And they have a nice beach with toys and a beach bar. Is there even a beach at Capt. Dons?

If you're boat diving with Toucan, the storage building is right on the dock. As is the store and rental area. If you're shorediving elsewhere, you can drive right up to the back of the tank building and pickup tanks 24/7. And the Nitrox analyzer is also in the same building.

my .02

Steve

reefraff:
how do you say vive la difference in Dutch?
According to www.freetranslation.com (French to English): "Lively the difference!" what would become "Levendige het verschil" in Dutch.

My translation however would be: "Leve het verschil!"
Although "Vive la difference!" is also quite common in Dutch... :D

Laurens

I read that as being today you were going - these American dates still throw me!! Why are you so unlike the rest of the world!! :wink:

I am going to Bonaire on Saturday so can see if I can answer your questions better after that. I am staying at Buddy's but I don't mind checking the reef out at either place for you. Laurens, I and some others will be staying at the Plaza in September so we'll be able to check things out further. When were you thinking of actually booking up?

The Cliff is a very good dive....ok, well they all are...but its really the only vertical wall on Bonaire...not counting Klein..and since its soo close to Capt. D's....makes it a good choice to stay at.

I've stayed there twice out of my 4 trips and have had an excellent time.

Just curious - certain operations have reef areas associated with them. Do they have control over who dives on those sites or is it a free for all?

Back
Top Bottom