Where to stay in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no, it's free for all.

i even politely asked to use the docks at a few, and they let me do it, no fees
or anything.

H2Andy:
no, it's free for all.

i even politely asked to use the docks at a few, and they let me do it, no fees
or anything.

Capt Don's is the one exception to this that I know of.
They have been charging $5 to divers who are not staying with them for some time now. Most operators do request you ask permission to use their dock.

nope, didn't go to Captain Don's Habitat

When we were using Photo Tours at Caribbean Court, while staying at Bellafonte Chateau de la Mer in May 2004, they informed us the Plaza Resort (Toucan), in addition to Capt. Don's, were charging a fee for divers not staying at their resort to dive from their facility. These were the only 2 mentioned a year ago.

We did not dive from either Capt. Don's nor the Plaza during our stay. The reef behind the Bellafonte is North Belnem, and was a great dive, day or night. We did shore dives from Atlantis in the South to Andrea II in the North. The 4 boat dives we did were 2 on Klein Bonaire, Rappel, and Bloodlet. Bloodlet had the big Rainbow Parrotfish and Blue Parrotfish in abundance.

I just got back from the Plaza yesterday. My general thoughts on the hotel is it is nice and fine, but not great. That being said it is my understanding that it is the nicest on the island. Get a grand suite over the ocean if you want to spring for it, well worth it. It is NOT a 5 star place, but it is good.

Airport is really a none issue, it is a stone's throw away but few planes land and we only once really noticed it.

We dove 18 palms 3 times (cause it was there) and Cliff once. Cliff was better, but 18 was solid.

Food at the Plaza is only ok (though the beach bar is fun), but walk into town 10-15 mintues and lots to choose from. Casa Blanca for good steak (from Argentina), Mona Lisa and others are decent. We didn't do any meal plan, in fact we only did breakfast once (I didn't think the spread was that good) and most times we just got a bagel before we got to the boat and the woman didn't charge us.

Toucan diving is good and very professional. Lockers are nice and if you stay there they will drive your gear to the beach (at 18 palms) anytime you want (8-5PM). which is nice and there are full tanks there always.

We used A/C but bugs were not bad (no screens).

Enjoy!

jpslim:
Toucan diving is good and very professional.

i agree. i loved their people. very friendly and down-to-earth, and also very
good divers.

it is my understanding that it is the nicest on the island.

How about Harbor Village?

I just returnd from from staying at the Bonaire Plaza Resort..we stayed in the Villa's and we really like them. they are clean and roomy. we have no compaints at all. We did not have cleaning service while there since we had stuff all over the place...but, they are good and Toucan Divers is great...all the staff is helpful..friendly and the diving is awesome. I'll be posting a report 2morrow.

JodyO:
My husband and I are planning a trip to Bonaire 12/4-12/11/2005. We have stayed at Capt. Dons and thought the reef was beautiful and saw so many types of fish. We especially enjoyed the large green moray who popped out to greet us on a night dive. We are considering staying at the Plaza this time. I have questions and hoped you could answer them.
1) Is the reef at the Plaza as good as Capt Dons?
2) Is the gear storage as convenient to the dive area?
3) Is the food good and would you recommend a meal plan there?
4) Are there good restaurants within walking distance?
5) Do the rooms have screens so you can open the door to enjoy the weather or are you forced to use the AC?
6) The Plaza is close to the airport. Is the noise a problem?
Hope someone has answers/opinions. Thanks in advance for your help.
My husband and I stayed at the plaza January 2nd-9th 2005. It was very rainy much more than normall for that time of year. Lots of mosquitos. NO screens to open, but my husband prefers the air conditioning. We stayed in a one bedroom villa. They were close to the airport than any other rooms on the property and the property is very large. We did hear the planes around 3:00 am every morning. It was a little bit of a bother. I think if you request a room somewhere else on the property you may not hear it. We were over the lagoon. We ate there one night that was the bbq. they had on the beach it was good. We like to venture out so we ate in town alot for dinners and other meals in the room. We think the food in Bonaire is great!! Many good resteraunts, so I would not want a meal plan. The hotel is very dutch, we did not run into any amercians untill the last few days when we did a boat dive. The dive shop is very good. not close to the shore to dive the house reef, but on your orientation dive the drive your equipment to you. We thought the house reef was nice, but we just dove it the one time. We had the truck pkg and wante to dive as many different sites as possible there. The little yellow book giving details and directions to all the dive sites in Bonaire was great! We just did the boat dive for Kline and the pier dive that requires a dive master because of its international waters ( worth every bit too)!! We found the storage area very convenient because we just pulled our truck up and dropped the tanks off had the wash tubs right there and the lockers and area to hang wet suits. The rooms were decent and very spacious. Staff was very helpfull and responsive to any problems we had. There is an area by the front desk it has free coffee which my husband loved the taste of. Snack machines computers, tables. We arrived after a very long flight at 1:30 am our luggage an hour later, so we had to wait. We went into that room and the KLM air line staff was there, they told us the room was for them only, so we left. Later we found out from the hotel desk and management it is for ALL guests. So if you stay there don't let them bully you like we did. That probable is my biggest irritation from the plaza is the KLM staff that seemed to think they were the only guests, even at the bar on the beach they seem to just not see you standing in line and feel they did not have to wait there turn. How ever the management and staff does not support their errogant behavior.
Thanks hopes this helps and where ever you stay you will have a great great time in bonaire!!!

As far as a place to stay, I think it depends on whether or not you want oceanfront, what your budget is and what features you want. If you like the resort style and want to limit yourself staying on the resort do one of the larger places. Let me tell you the restaurants on Bonaire are fantastic! You may not want to go with a meal plan and enjoy dinner out. The restaurants I say are 5 star at 3 star prices! If you want a "villa" feel and have the bucks, stay at Harbor Village. If you are adventurous, love to explore the island, want to be away from the "crowds", try a local Inn, Villa or home....
Enjoy!

Liz

Back
Top Bottom