Where to stay on Ambergris Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I need to figure out where to stay. If I can believe tripadvisor, Corona del Mar is a pretty decent place. Any thoughts or alternatives. I've also looked at Xanadu and it looks okay.

We have non-diving wives that I want to keep happy as well. I would like to stay somewhere with a beach area, bar, pool, and accessible to a good dive op.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

All places are accessible to good dive ops - they'll pick you up. Xanadu is not OK - it's superb. Doesn't have a bar, though it does have a pool. CdelM doesn't have a pool. Exotic Caye has both, plus an excellent food place for breakfast and lunch. Generally speaking, the further you are from town the quieter the beach will be - all beaches here are public. Many hotels have a sea wall instead of a beach, though there may still be a sandy area. Look at http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html for detailed info on hotels.

I am going to Belize Jan 23-31st, for the 2nd time!! The 1st time we went to the Placencia district and stayed at Robert's Grove, 5 STAR resort, a lifetime experience! This time, we are going to stay at the Banana Beach Resort in Ambergris Caye because Christina Cooks is going to be there cooking for us everyday (http://www.christinacooks.com).

A small and peaceful resort about three miles north of town. No restaurant, but several good ones nearby. There will shortly be a dive center located there. If you rent bikes (which is what I'd recommend) the ride takes about 15 minutes, or there's an hourly water taxi.

Unfortunately from us that don't live in Paradise you will probably get a different opinion from each poster. We stayed a Sea Breeze in Nov of 01. It was a really nice resort, bar/resturant, pool, dive shop and beach with a beautiful sunrise each morning.

BUT the most important thing is the bar next door - BC's the absolute most perfect beach bar ever!!! No matter where you stay please take the time to stop and have a drink there. It is still there isn't Peter - please tell me it is. :)

Becky

Yes Becky, it's still there (though it is due to disappear at some undisclosed point in the future when the area is to be converted to expensive condos. You're right, it is the archetypal Belizean beach bar. Incidentally, the hotel is called Sunbreeze.

Charlene stopped her famous Sunday barbeques earlier this year and many people have despaired of ever partaking of them again. But she has announced that they will be reinstated this high season, I believe after Christmas.

Small rant...

http://bananabeach.com/rates.html

Is it just me or does playing 2400 dollars for a 2br suite for a week in belize seem wayyy too much. Mind you I have never travelled to Ambergris, so I dont know the difficulties etc of building and owning there, but have lived and dove all over the world... Heck a liveaboard is 1500pp and includes food and diving! Just a gut feeling...

What happened to going to tropical places for the dollar advantage? I mean commercial overpriced maui you can get a condo for 125 a night a block from the beach. You spend the money to get there... not once you are there...

Any locals recommend a private owner we could rent from for a week... A classy little local joint that isnt overpromising and underdelivering??? Im happy in a grass hut and hammock ... if I am paying hammock rates...

What does it cost to rent a decent place to live on Ambergris? or even better where is the next "belize" or "cozumel" so I can buy there!

www.freedomfilm.com:
Small rant...

http://bananabeach.com/rates.html

What does it cost to rent a decent place to live on Ambergris? or even better where is the next "belize" or "cozumel" so I can buy there!

Belize, and especially San Pedro, is not cheap. When I moved to San Pedro from the Philippines I thought, "developing country.... so the cost will most likely be about the same as the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia...". It costs at least twice as much to live here. Food and gasoline....fishing gear...you name it, are very high.
On the other hand, I was in Puerto Barrios, Guatemala a few months ago to pick up my boat, I was amazed at the price of everything there. I would say for the money, SE Asia is the place to go.

just my Belize dollar's worth............... just returned this last saturday and we spent the week at the Sunbreeze. Nicec,clean very close to town and the landing strip. 14 dives with Aqua Divers the on property shop, Eric the DM was wonderful, but the boats are in need of updating (MAJOR UPDATING). The property has a great restuarant and a nice pool area..... the beach, well sand fleas aside isnt much...... all in all we had 9 divers on this trip and all 9 gave the resort positive reviews. when i get the chance i will try and post more about the whole 2 weeks we spent in Belize, but the gear is still waiting to be put away and dinner is calling, but i do have a glass of 1 Barrel (the local rum) waiting on me also

Back
Top Bottom