Where's all the new guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nor cal is the place to dive. I dive the first week or every month with a group. thanks for the welcome Hanalo. Hope to see you with the club dive. Im also a tradesmen Iron Worker. c-15 flooring, also self employed. Come up north and ill buddy up with ya. And you could meet up with others on the north coast to buddy up.

ironworker377:
I think the hardest thing to do is find a buddy.

That's why mentorship is so important... the things you don't like seeing the new guys do...ie tearing up the bottom... dragging regs thru the surf... all the noob mistakes This would be the time to show them how to Do It Right :D

Just read Lynne's threads on mentorship... That's how you build competant divers.

Some of the good sources to find mentors/buddies is your local LDS/dive club, BA_diving and of course Scubaboard...

Are we overdue for a Big Brother dive?

Im wondering if Im going to live up to your expectations Ben, with this so called mentorship diving . I never have been good at living up to other peoples expectations. kind of like the hardcore DIR guys. its there way or you die. but there is nothing like some education and a point in the right direction. what do I care if some knob drags his reg in the sand. so he gets a free flow. and needs fo flush it out.he will learn this without a mentorship. I don't care much to judge others just to make myself feel better about my own shortcomings. we are all just having fun. but there is something to be said about protecting the environment. and there are sensitive areas were we should take precautions to protect the reef. like bluefish cove with all the hydro corals. but the break water where most guys end up. your not going to hurt much out there. think just an old fashion club dive with a topic aught to get better results. unless you feel the need to school sombody. but what do I know. just a newbie on scuba board. and I don't intend to rub anybody the wrong way. just my 2 cents.

I agree chuck, and have adopt a lot of there approach to diving, and am still learning. im always open to new and old ideas. but you know. the hardcore DIR guys are overkill. and sometimes ones approach to diving can take the fun out of diving. nobody likes to be judged or called a knob. or get caught in a pissing contest. I guess we are all knobs at the start. so to speak. Im just a recreational diver who doesn't take an approach to diving so seriously. as long as its safe and thought out. its all good. everybody who continues diving will eventually evolve into thoughtful and responsible divers. its just natural for most to evolve. maybe I read to much into the mentor thing? we all need buddy's. and hope to be a good buddy's.

I just think referring to a newbie diver as a knob or a tool might not be the best way to attract divers to a mentor for diving. but to each its own I guess.

gonphishin,

I've yet to meet in-person any "hardcore DIR guys" by your definition; if you know of any, please introduce me.

I think if you ever meet Ben or get a chance to dive with him, you'll see that your reaction is unfounded. He's certainly alot less selfish with his dive-time than I am. In any case, it's like Chuck says, I think you shouldn't read anything more into Ben's message than "come on out, and see how some of us like to dive; who knows, you just might like it".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom